Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

entire left side stronger then right

qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/16, 11:12 PM
this is really wierd I need to know if anyone else has this problem. My entire left side is stronger and a little bit larger than my right. I am right handed too, funny, huh.
i can feel and see my quads and arms on my left side are larger, slighty, and stronger. What could I do to even this out?
THANKS ft!

BQ
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/05/16, 11:30 PM
This question has been asked a lot. I believe the general consensus is to just make sure you are concentrating whenever you do any exercise. Probably someone else could explain that better.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/05/17, 09:25 AM
I usually do that too.. Just whenever you start an exercise.. like curls.. single leg calf raises.. one arm dumbell rows.. start off w/ your left side.. Pretty much my right seems stronger for everything except shoulders where my left side is better.. on most exercises if you feel that one side is too far from the other then just start with your weaker side FIRST.. if that side fails at X reps then don't work your stronger side past that many reps. Try to concentrate on good form and make sure your not tilting the bar on any exercises (barbell curls/bench/etc)... I think that covers it for that...
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/17, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that insightful ifnor Fireloard, I will try why you suggested
Thanks!
BQ
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/17, 02:30 PM
I had the same concerns qualters. My right side is actually just bigger, while my left is more defined. I was told that this was common, and in reading about pro bb's everyone has a "best side" that they try to highlight when posing. I also started doing things like supersets with the weaker side only to try to get it to catch up. It's working for me.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/18, 11:40 AM
Awesome info Cainsands, supersets, great idea. I never knew that about the posing thing either, thanks man!
Atleast I know its more common that what I believed.
BQ
SeanMS
SeanMS
United States
2002/05/24, 12:40 AM
Qualters- I'm Left handed and my left leg is larger, stronger and more defined than my right but my upper body is just the opposite. Even the abbs on my right side are just a little bigger better defined too. My left arm is 5/8" smaller than my right. I don't have a clue why it's the right side considering I'm a southpaw. One thing to watch out for- machines that have both sides hooked together (like a bench press machine or a hamstring curl machine) they help keep the stronger side strong and the weaker side weak. Like with the hanstring curls (just as example not leterall) you may set the weight at 100 lbs., you might only exert 10 lbs with the weak leg and 90 lbs. with the strong leg, that's not helping the weak leg much. Does this make sence? When I use any machines like that I'll just cut the weight in half and do one arm/leg at a time. It is kinda hard to do Military presses or bench presses with one arm at a time so I just stay away from those machines and use free weights for those exercises. I'm just referring to machines for the legs, bis., tris., and lats.
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/24, 01:47 PM
Great info Sean. I will try doing what you said.
Thanks for the taking the time to help!
I never thought of what you said before, but it really makes sense!
BQ