Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Ectomorph=Hardgainer

Slim-Daddy
Slim-Daddy
Canada
2002/03/01, 12:37 AM
Is an ectomorph automatically a hardgainer? or are there endomorph and mesomorph hardgainers? Ive always associated ectomorph with hardgainer and now im wondering if this is true.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/01, 02:25 AM
I'm Meso-Ectomorph and female and that definitely makes me into a hard gainer.... ):

The prob with the ectomorph is not really his or her morphology but the metabolism....... They cannot keep the calories for the muscles since they burn too fast.
When you have understood that and you know how to handle this prob (increasing daily calories but weight gainers etc) you'll be able to gain as much weight as a typical Mesomorph.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rickgarvia
rickgarvia
United States
2002/03/09, 05:05 PM
I think the biggest difference beteen the body types is in the quantity of fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle fibers. Typically, ectos have more fast twitch, which makes it hard, but not impossible to gain noticable body mass. We just have to be realistic with our goals. I'll never be as big as Arnold, no matter how hard I try - -but I can get as big as I can for my bodytype.
Slim-Daddy
Slim-Daddy
Canada
2002/03/11, 07:53 AM
Is it realistic then that I want to be 220lbs(170 now) and bench press 400lbs(200 or so now) I gained 30lbs since august(havent gained anything in a while) 10lbs of that was from Cell tech and i guess the rest was from eating right. I used to be almost completely ecto but ive developed more endomorph and mesomorph qualities but still basically ectomorph..all the men in my family wind up having beer guts when they get older and ive never been the smallest ecto so im not 100% ecto I dont think. Ive always(least after puberty) had wide shoulders but small arms and small chest.(they look small to me anyway) im 5'10. so is my goal realistic or is that too much for my bodytype?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/11, 02:04 PM
One cannot change their genetics! Unless you're on "the juice," you may not be able to bulk up as non-ectomorphs can. As a hardgainer myself, I'm pretty satisfied with what I've already gained so far...and concentrating on putting on a lot of definition with the little muscle I've accumulated.

For weeks I've been trying to put on weight...went from 150 to 165 at one point. But, I could not pass that 165 barrier! So, I continue to train like an animal (hard and heavy), and eat like a moose. I'm also trying different supplements to change things up a bit. We'll see...

But good luck to you...it's not at all unreasonable to gain that much weight, although you'll probably have to sacrifice gaining quite a bit of fat at the same time. No one can gain a lot of muscle without gaining some fat along the way!

--------------
**_Robert_**
rickgarvia
rickgarvia
United States
2002/03/17, 09:09 AM
The most I ever weighed was 200, and to be honest, I felt fat. Actually, skinny-fat would be more like it. I looked like hell.

Ectomorphs have a shortage of the type of muscle fibers that allow them to get truly huge. I think rpacheco is correct -- be satisfied with the gains you can make, and work on definition. I don't think a guy who is 170 can naturally bulk up to 220. I'm at 185 now, which is heavy for me, but I have good muscle definition. To be honest, I wouldn't want to be much heavier.

--------------
Rick