Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Eat before or after working out

howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/04, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and just wanted to say how helpful the information on this site has been for me so far.

Anyway, my question is, when is the best time to eat? Usually I'll eat breakfast in the morning, something like half a bagel, orange juice and yogurt at around 8AM, then a mid morning snack at work of something like raw green peppers or something, then a 6" sub from subway (healthier stuff like turkey, etc) and then another raw veggie snack in mid afternoon.

I get out of work at around 5 and then hit the gym for about 90 mins then go home and eat dinner around 7. However, sometimes, I'll feel the food sitting in my stomach and feel that maybe I'm doing it wrong by not eating before I work out. Oh, btw, I'm not eating fatty, heavy things, I eat a normal, healthy dinner like chicken breast and rice and veggies and the like.

So, should I be eating before my evenign work out or after? I feel like if I eat before, then I'll be hungry afterwards, but if I eat afterwards, I feel like I'm not burning up my dinner.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2009/05/04, 11:08 AM
Consuming a bit of protein and carbs prior to and after your workout is best. Keep it simple: chocolate milk after your workout, for example, is a great post-workout meal.

Overall, I think you may need to change your diet in order to make improvements. Take a look at the diet thread for some ideas.

Good luck!

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
howlandplace
howlandplace
United States
2009/05/04, 11:17 AM
Well, I can't really see how I could change my diet too much. I know me, if I try to cut down too much on what I eat, I won't stick with it and give in to my cravings. I eat what your average person would eat, but I've cut out all junk food (candy, really fatty stuff like fast food and steak and cheese subs, soda, etc)

I've also switchted to just drinking water and diet soda. I know it should just be water, but again, I really enjoyed my Pepsi before I started this healthier lifestyle and I jsut stick to Diet Pepsi now which, while not being the absolute best alternative, is still much better for me than regular Pepsi and therefore will keep me away from the bad soda.

I'm never going to be one of those people who methodically counts their caloric intake or grams of carbs/fats etc, I just try to eat reasonable portions and work out 4x a week; with a weight lifting session, then usually 20mins of cardio afterwards.

I'm not looking to super bulk up or extremely slim down. I'm about 250lbs now (6'1) and I just want to look better in my clothes and attract more attention from the ladies, I'm not super super concerned with being perfect with my workout/diet plan, just looking to find something that works, but also something I can stick with. You could have the most perfectly balanced healthy diet in the world, but if you don't stick to it, what's the point.

Thanks for the advice though, it's greatly appreciated.
fmcclain
fmcclain
United States
2009/05/05, 07:28 AM
The one thing I hear all the time is eat a decent breakfast, it your day fuel. I'll have a bowl of low cal cerial..frosted wheat, smart start, etc, and some fruit, or, like you, a toasted bagel (a whole one) and a yogurt,then walk, then I'll have some veggies or fruit for snack, a salad for lunch..italian light dressing is best..exercise, and a single portion of supper. If I feel I've ate too much for supper I'll take a short walk till I feel better, or do some house chores or yard work. It's summer time, so go mow..lol. I feel better if I eat, rest for 5 min or so, then exercise, and have some milk or juice afterwards to ward off hunger. Good luck, hope this helps.

--------------
Hard work and all play makes the day go faster.
dool889
dool889
Canada
2009/05/05, 08:07 AM
One of my friends has been a personal trainer for a few years and since I recently decided to start working out, he has been giving me a few tips and this one just so happened to come up.

Correct me if I am wrong but he told me that you should eat at different times depending on your fitness goal. For example if you would like to maintain a weight or lose weight then it is best to eat before a workout session that way you are burning off your meal during the workout.

If you would like to build mussel mass then eating after you workout would be best because after you have exhausted you mussels and they are looking to refuel they will use the fresh source of energy in your body instead of the fat.

My own personal advice would be do do what you are comfortable with. You are much less likely to stick to a workout regiment if you find it too strict.