Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

dumbbells

effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/06/17, 11:48 AM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem. I prefer lifting dumbbells to anything else. Unfortunately, I am now at the point where the dumbbells are to big for me to maneuver them very well because I'm so small! The weight is fine, but the size of the things makes it awkward. I don't like cables or machines as much because I don't get as much visual afffirmation of what I'm lifting. What to do?

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/17, 04:44 PM
I'm starting to have that problem on a few things. I am up to a 50# db on overhead extensions for triceps and it is so bulky that I can't get my hand placement right. I feel like I am either going to hit myself in the head or topple over backwards. That's where I guess, we HAVE to move on to the cables or freemotion machines. I definitely feel more confident using the dumb bells though. I have started using the barbell for a couple of things, but I am very wobbly with it.

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/25, 12:59 PM
I'm going to bump this to see if we get any input. I also noticed at our gym that after 25# the weights go up in 5# increments until 60# and then they go up 10#. Why is that? Even the barbells have 2.5# weights. I'm feeling defeated already as I don't know if I'll be able to go from 60 right to 70. Is this common in all gyms?

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/06/27, 02:41 AM
Sorry girls, but I don't really have any good tips to give you about how to handle the big dumbbells...... (I never had that problem!)
Victoria, about the overhead triceps extensions try to do it with the upper cable instead of dumbbells. This will give you a niiiiiiice stretch and give you long great looking triceps as well.
Yes, after a certain number the dumbbells go up in bigger increments, it's common in all gyms and it's necessairy or you would have way too many dumbbells (and it costs a fortune as well!).

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/27, 10:24 AM
I don't get it, it's ridiculous at my gym how big even the five and ten pound dumbells are. If I use even the tens for a lying tricep extension I'm squashing my head with these giant rubber plates. And the preacher bench - it is hilarious, even with the seat raised all the way it's impossible for me to set the pad under my arms. And lying on the flat bench my feet don't even reach the floor. I have to hook them around the legs of the bench. I feel like Jack in the Beanstalk, wandering around trying to use all the giant stuff. LOL
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/27, 02:33 PM
I've read that when using the flat bench, if your feet don't reach the floor you should put them up on the end of the bench. I have seen some women do that at our gym.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/27, 04:02 PM
AZ, I have done that, too. LOL
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/06/28, 01:19 AM
I, too, feel like I was made at about 75% of the required size for most of the equipment at my gym! It's like those carnival rides, "participants must be at least this tall to be safe and comfortable". Even the posts that the plates are stored on are at a bad height for me. I'm exactly as wide as the bench is, too, so I get bruised when I'm doing stuff facing down! I think it's true when they say it's a mans world. I think we ladies need to make a bigger fuss!

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe