Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Drop sets

2012/04/05, 10:42 PM
I read here years ago that supplements make about 2 to 5% difference in results. In other words, 98% of gains come from proper workout, diet and rest.

I have also seen most workouts structured in such a way that  the first set is light and subsequent sets get heavier. I'm just curious. If the workout is performed using drop sets, how much difference does it actually make? A drop set would be one that , after proper warmup, the heaviest set is performed first and each following set gets lighter.

Any thoughts or theories?

I do not use drop sets frequently but my situation is making them necessary once in a while.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2012/04/06, 10:00 AM
You're right on, C.

Drop sets (aka reverse pyramid) can be beneficial. Just like any other method, when used as part of an overall long term program, they have been shown to work pretty well.
2012/04/06, 10:20 AM
thanks Michael. I'm sure you figured out that I tried dropsets to overcome the problem I was having with my dumbbell only workout. I'll do my benches for a few weeks and then try regular sets. Thanks..
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/09, 07:47 PM
No complaints about the advise given it was all great, but couldnt help noticed no one asked Charlie what goal he is trying to acomplished ,is he trying to get ripped, or put on more size. If your looking to get ripped the reverse pyramid works but if your trying to beef up then it would be a big waste of your time.
2012/06/09, 09:40 PM
Hi PING321, Charlie is 60 years old. He is just trying to stay alive bro. Reve8ball has been answering my questions for 9 years. The main reason I use drop sets is because I only have dumbbells to work with. I have actually made good gains using dropsets.  I use them when I'm moving up to the next level. I also will reach 20 reps with 70 lb dumbbells on my bench press before I buy 80 lb dumbbells. Those suckers are pricey. I paid more for a pair of 70s than I did for my entire set of 5-50 lbs. When I first try to bench the 80s I will do drop sets. It's a 20 lb jump and I find laying down and kicking up dumbbells to get into position very scary. Make sense?
PHYSIQUE79
PHYSIQUE79
United States
2012/06/11, 01:05 PM
Ok i see and i hear you dumbbells are costly I thought about going old school and just getting two buckets and filling them with bricks. As far as my workout I just need mass because my genetics where meant for a supermodle cause weight runs from me.