Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

dizzy after work outs

2010/02/17, 06:58 PM
i know this has probably been asked a lot, but after i work out hard sometimes i start getting that lightheaded dizzy feeling. can something be done about this?
also, im 6 1, 150lbs, and for this issue im having i have been working on my cardio as much as possible, but when i do too much cardio i drop down to 145 or less, which scares me. any ideas?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/02/17, 07:03 PM
Do you eat before hand?
rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/02/19, 11:50 AM
You are 6'1" and 150lbs and you are doing cardio which decreases your weight to 145lbs. Are you aware that you need to increase your calorie intake if you are loosing weight? Or you may have an endocrine issue that needs to be addressed. Or you are aware of what you are doing and don't eat on purpose, as in an eating disorder.

Dizziness can be a symptom of a variety of conditions: low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, and other endocrine and metabolic issues.

#1. If you get dizzy when you go from a sitting to standing position this is indicative of low blood pressure, aka, low blood volume. One way to prevent this is to drink more fluids. Ideally you should know your blood pressure (b/p) and it's ranges.

#2. A low blood sugar will also make a person feel dizzy, mentally slow, weak, etc.. If this is a re-occurring problem, you should consult your MD about a fasting glucose test to determine if it needs treatment more than eating the appropriate calories for your activity level.
2010/02/20, 03:37 PM
tim, yes i do eat before hand, about an hour or less before.

river, im a broke college student and cant afford to up my calorie intake that much, but i try to as much as possible and i still eat way more than most of my friends who are around 180-210. i do tend to not eat on purpose, but its only because i either cant afford it or i havent gotten the chance, its definately not because i think im fat, i see a gross skinny kid when i look in the mirror lol.

i was reading about hypo, and it sounds almost like what goes on, but same thing with #1 and #2. however i cant afford to go to a doctor either, let alone medications. :(
rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/02/20, 08:27 PM
It sounds like you know that you are calorie deficient. Have you looked into food stamps or a food program at your college?

Cheap high calorie foods:
Peanut Butter
Whole Wheat Pastas
Whole Grain Breads
Whole Grain Cereals
Potatoes
Raisins
Olive Oil
Raw Nuts

You can also use a weight gain supplement such as a soy or why protein shake. To increase its calories add the powder to juice and add flaxseed oil.

Google: High calorie foods for weight gain for additional information.

Good luck