Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Diets

Marcy
Marcy
United States
2002/05/30, 03:20 PM
What is the deal with the Atkins diet and other low carb diets? I have heard that the Atkins diet is not healthy. Also, I'm new here and what I have seen of the website is great and I'm looking forward to losing weight and getting fit with ya'll.

Marcy :)
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/30, 03:31 PM
I'm not too familiar with them, but alot of people around here aren't too big on low carb diets. I think it really depends on if your bodybuilding or not though.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/05/30, 03:53 PM
I have spoken to many people trying variations of these diets. They seem to be popular because you can still eay many delicious, fattening foods while losing weight. It is harder than it seems though to completely cut out carbs, and I would think, not very healthy (although Atkins maintains otherwise). No fruits, veggies, breads.....
Stick with a well rounded plan that fits your program, and eat often. You will have great gains.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/05/31, 01:13 AM
Also problems with cholesterol from all the saturated fat you'll eat.
To cut out all carbs is rather tough but it's true that without sugar in the blood the body will produce ketosis and break down fat cells faster.
You'll be in a pretty bad mood for the first week or two thou.
I'm not against very low carb diets but in my opinion (and it has worked great for me) you should cycle your total carb intake. Some days with very low carbs and some days with high carbs. This way your body will never get use to the diet, you'll keep loosing weight and you'll feel better.
Good luck!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/31, 10:48 AM
I had great success with the low carb/low fat diet. I basically cut out eating white bread, pasta, rice, etc. and mainly ate more chicken, vegetable salads, soup and healthy choice meals. Of course I did this slowly to make sure I didn't put my body into hypoglycemic shock. This may not work for everyone, but after I did that and increased my exercise frequency, I lost major weight in a very short period of time.

Well, there's enough knowledge and experience in this community that can help you achieve your goals. Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
GitnFit
GitnFit
United States
2002/06/06, 02:33 PM
I have a friend that ended up in the emergency room while on the Atkins diet. His cholestoral (sp) and blood pressure were through the roof!!!

Be very careful. Consult a doctor before and during this diet.

I think it works cuz your body is basically in shock...
kwacker
kwacker
United Kingdom
2008/03/25, 05:06 PM
hi all , ive been dieting for 2 month now and have lost 25lbs , im now 17 stone and think its time to get fit and go for that long awaited sixpack :big_smile::big_smile:id like to build up sum muscle .......
could anyone give me a little advice on what to do next , like , should i keep dieting or start vigorous exercise....
please help , im confused ? :surprised: