Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Sticky Determining and Strengthening Weaknesses

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 05:13 PM
Here is a great article by:
By Tom Myslinski
For EliteFTS.com

Squat

1. Problem (P) – The bar feels heavy out of the power rack.
Weak Point (WP) – abdominals, hip flexors
Coaching Point (CP) #1 – Contract shoulder blades, flex, and arch back out of rack, requires a static contraction to maintain arch.
CP #2 – Create a neutral spine position, push out against belt.

2. P – Butt sits straight down, “Olympic style”
WP – Incorrect technique, hamstrings
CP #1 – Push butt back, “sprinter style”, to incorporate posterior chain (spinal erectors, glutes, hamstrings) thereby activating stretch reflex.
CP #2 – Perfect posture maintains the greatest mechanical advantage.

3. P – Knees buckle in
WP – Hips, glutes, external rotators
CP – Spread the floor by pushing out over the sides of your shoes.

4. P – Fall forward
WP – Low back, abs
CP #1 – Lead up out of hole with a spread, high chest
CP #2 – Push up with arms by keeping elbows positioned perpendicular under bar, letting the elbows rotate up and back causes the wrists to roll the bar high.
CP #3 – Do not squat into mirror, causes instability regulated by visual feedback

5. P – Stuck out of hole (bottom position)
WP – Incorrect technique, bar too heavy
CP – Not sitting back far enough to fully activate stretch reflex.

6. P - Stuck ½ - ¾ up
WP – Hips, glutes
CP – Develop accelerative strength, prolong rate of force production

Bench Press

1. P – Bar feels heavy or unstable
WP – Lats, posterior deltoids, external rotators, rotator cuff
CP – Contract shoulder blades, requires a static contraction to maintain, drive upper back into bench upon concentric contraction

2. P – Weak off of chest
WP – Bar too heavy, nobody fails off of the chest
CP #1 – Lower the bar with your back, “springboard effect”, activate stretch reflex
CP #2 – Develop accelerative strength, prolong rate of force production

3. P - Stuck ½ way up
WP – Triceps
CP #1 – Spread the bar with your grip, activate medial head of triceps
CP #2 – Keep elbows positioned perpendicular under bar, any rotation outwards transfers the load to the shoulder capsule

4. P – Pressing into the J-hooks
WP – Triceps
CP #1 – The shortest path between 2 points is a straight line, maintain a straight bar path
CP #2 – Do not push into bar, press yourself away from bar, create separation
CP #3 – keeping the elbows positioned perpendicular under the bar maintains the greatest mechanical advantage, any rotation outwards transfers the load to the shoulder capsule

5. P – Butt rises from bench
WP – Incorrect technique, bar too heavy, bench too low
CP #1 – Maintain correct posture, knees up, straighten legs or drive with heels
CP #2 – Do not arch low back, arch upper back by contracting shoulder blades

6. P – Head rises with eccentric lowering
WP – Incorrect technique
CP #1 – Maintain correct posture, keep head down with chin tucked
CP #2 – Concaving chest causes an increased distance for the bar to travel

Check this website out and look at the article section. If you are serious about powerlifting you will check it out.
tenorsaxmandave
tenorsaxmandave
United States
2004/03/11, 08:06 PM
Thanks Gator,

I'm certainly not in the same league as you Power Lifters, but I sure can take advantage of the advice. I'm a #4 in squats and a #1 in Bench Press. This makes perfect sense, too. I always squat in front of a mirror and I always need to really concentrate on driving my heels through the floor - otherwise I tend to lean forward. As far as Bench Press, I have relatively weak lats and a "busticated" left rotator (double whammy). This could be one reason why you don't see my name next to any bench pressing records.

I'll start working on the CPs tomorrow. Thanks, coach!

TSMD
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 11:03 PM
No problem big man! We are all here to learn from each other. Every one has weaknesses. The heavy weights bring them out.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/11/30, 01:26 PM
BUMP
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/11/30, 03:57 PM
question........I was tought in highschool, not to bench stright up and down, but from your nipples to and arc kinda toward your chin, so the bar speads up and shoulders help more.....but to still be under control and nto hit the hooks?

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/01, 02:45 AM
gator what is wrong if i feel stinging pain in left shoulder....? what am i doing wrong? i really feel it at the top 1/4...thanks
2004/12/01, 04:55 PM
i mean form wise...i am thinking maybe i don't bring the bar down evenly...or grab it evenly...or maybe i don't move the bar in a straight line up and down...just a really annoying feeling in my elft shoulder that takes away from my bench and ruins my concentration...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/01, 06:46 PM
do you squeeze your shoulders together?

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/01, 11:13 PM
yes, they are pushed as close together as possible, and pressed into the bench....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/02, 10:18 AM
How wide your grip? That might be putting some stress on your shoulder too.

--------------

snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/12/03, 11:12 AM
I went on this website and I cant find the articles. I only see something that says "click on a circle to enter the store". Thats the only thing I can click on. Is there something I am missing here?
2004/12/03, 01:34 PM
avg grip...pinkies at the middle marker...eh
snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/12/05, 03:22 PM
Anyone know where these articles are on EliteFTS.com?
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/12/06, 06:59 AM
click articles at the top.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/05/18, 10:19 AM
bump
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/05/24, 08:36 PM
When I squat or bench an athlete I can see right away what they need to improve on inorder to get better at their sport. These "simple" or "isolation" exercises give a lot of information on what an athlete needs. I also like to use an overhead squat, squat jump, and seal bridge as evaluation methods. These are only a few we use. Here is my question: What are some methods others here use to determine weakness in an athlete? Let us learn from each other.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/24, 10:32 PM
Unfortuanlly, the strength center at MTSU......when i did workout with the cheerleaders witht he "strength" coaches.....most are just GA's.......they gave us left over soccer, track workouts......the guys footbal player workouts.......never tried to identify any weaknesses.....just made us "workout"

they make us do abbs first........?

--------------
" The only true eye, is your minds eye"- plato
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/05/28, 12:06 AM
Whats the seal bridge?
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/05/28, 12:13 AM
Lying leg lower to test lower abs strength, bent knees for lower abs coordination test. When the low back lifts off the ground they have failed. 1 rep is enough to determine adequate strenght.

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/28, 06:43 AM
Doa you knwo all that other "stuff" in the other forum about benchpressing and etc......and you don't know what a seal bridge is?

--------------
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/05/28, 10:49 AM
Seal bridge = prone stabilization
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/05/28, 05:46 PM
I call it a prone bridge. Names of these types of exercises change between different instructors in my gym let alone different sides of the world.

gator

how do you determine weather someone is strong in the birdge? I was taught to monitor neutral spine. Too much rectus activation showed weaker TVA accordiong to Kit Lachlan.
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/05/28, 08:46 PM
Kit has written some good books on stretching, one called Stretching and flexibility and overcome neck and back pain if you were wondering who he was.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/05/30, 11:14 AM
If the person starts to shake and lose control within the 30 second test then they need work in that area. I also time their side bridge, single leg hip raise hold, and straight leg glute bridge. I monitor neutral spine also. If their back is sagging and they cannot get it to stay neutral then that is an indicator they need extra work.

Just in case anyone is wondering:
TVA = Transversus Abdominis

This is its description from Thompson and Floyd:
The transversus abdominis is the chief muscle of forced expiration and is effective, together with the rectus abdominis, the external oblique abdominal, and the internal oblique abdominal muscles, in helping to hold the abdomen flat (which in our minds means stable).

I think the key here is it works together and not alone...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/30, 11:17 AM
how would I test myself......and what exactly I do to see and correst if I am weak? in this area?
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/05/31, 07:22 AM
gator

That makes sense, I guess the problem is that most people do so many crunches they become way to RA dominant. The TVA becomes relatively weak as a result. Also injuries or sedentary lifestyle can cause problems(imbalances). Or pregnancy.

As long as they can hold a neutral spine I call that a pass, but I find most people round their upper backs indicating a strong RA contraction. I use a dowel rod along the spine to get a good visual.

bigandrew

Try the leg lowering. Lie on your back with straight legs ponting to the sky and press your low back flat into the floor. Lower your legs slowly without lifting your low back. I think that anything better than 30 degrees is a pass.

The bent legs version is to test for low abdominal coordination. Same as the straight, but start with bent legs(calves touching hammys). Lower slowly without lifting low back touch floor then lift up again. If you do without lifting your back you pass.

The other tests really require someone to watch you.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/06/01, 08:56 AM
back completly flat? or natural arch?

--------------
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/06/02, 06:04 AM
I'd say flat against the floor, or pressed against your hand so you can apply a constant pressure.

Ideally you put a blood pressure cuff under your arch. With feet on the ground and knees bent to 90degrees, the cuff should sit comfortably in the arch without increasing it - about 40mg is good for most. Then straighten your legs, pointing feet up and now maintain about 70mg. Lower slowly until you cant hold 70.

Hope that makes sense. I need some pics to show you.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/06/07, 06:00 PM
Check out this page:
http://www.chekinstitute.com/
great website; not the only way.
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/06/07, 06:59 PM
Gator,

What are your thouhts on Chek's bench pressing method? Referring to the range of motion. See Big Benches, Bad Shoulders article.
DeadOnArrival
DeadOnArrival
Australia
2005/06/18, 09:33 PM
I worked it out for myself. Touching the bar to my chest wrecks my shoulder.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2005/06/20, 10:33 AM
Some people can touch without any problems at all. Some cannot. I vary my range of motion. Some weeks I touch, some weeks I do board press. Athletes need to be strong through out the entire range of motion. Use light weight if you have too or do close grip with the elbows tucked in to your sides. This eliminates alot of shoulder rotation and places additional stress on your triceps and you can still touch your chest with no pain.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2006/12/12, 02:33 PM
Love this post too!
2006/12/12, 03:33 PM
this should be a sticky...

great post
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/02/24, 10:08 PM
This is a great post.

I used to think weakness training was just about where you failed in the squat. Now I use a variety of tests constantly with different individuals.

The more I learn about physical therapy, the more I can just look at a person and figure out what their weaknesses are.

============
Quoting from gatormade:
What are some methods others here use to determine weakness in an athlete?
=============

My favorites are the face pull for external rotator strength and rhomboid dominance.
Adducted ext rotations for rhomboid dominance.
Prone bridges for TVA strength
Overhead squat for almost anything...

There are quite a few more, but they are done on a case by case basis. For example, if an individual was showing signs of scapular winging, I would have that individual go through a variety of arm motions while observing to determine if it was due to a weak serratus anterior or due to the trapezius complex.

These are only the individual tests used. I also think you can get more from watching a person train than from a lot of these tests.

However, the biggest one is, and will remain, posture. Posture is an easier test than anything else, and will almost always help to reveal weaknesses.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk