Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

dehydrating on purpose

Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2003/03/05, 06:33 AM
I saw this program where these female body-builders were preparing to compete, and they all spent the day before the competition drinking absolutely nothing at all. Apparently, it was to make their skin go tight to show off their muscles more. Is this really what people do before a competition? It seems to go against every rule in the book!

K
?:/

----------------------------
*My body only feels good when it burns!
*Little voice telling you to quit? Put your fingers in your ears!
*"Life shrinks or grows in proportion to one's courage"
JennVice
JennVice
United States
2003/03/05, 10:26 AM
I've definately heard of people doing it. Also don't forget salt... avoid salt the week before... many celebrities do it for big events.
Shaolin_911
Shaolin_911
Canada
2003/03/05, 12:42 PM
Yes its pretty much true. Even covermodels do it prior to there shoot. If dehydrated, veins and muscles show more, but its only for a short period of time, so it doesnt do much harm.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/03/07, 02:18 AM
Oh yes we do that. It's no way fun to feel thirsty but as Shaolin says, it's only for a very short moment so the body is okey. The body DO get sort of annoyed though so after the shoot or competition you are sure of putting on 3-5 lbs of water.
What we do is start out the week drinking A LOT more than normally and then slowly less water and almost nothing the day before and THE day.
Some athletes take diuretics but they can be VERY dangerous for the body. What you also can do is take extra potassium (and cut out all sodium in the food) and "play" with the body's potassium-sodium balance (tricking the body to shed water).
I really don't like not being able to drink but well, it's part of the business!! (o;

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/03/07, 12:00 PM
Water depletion is a must before competition. Too much water will blur your definition. Best done naturally, cut all sodium, load potassium, steak and grapefruit diet works well. As Philia says, diruetics sold even over the counter can be very dangerous. One big bodybuilder years ago, one of the top stars(can't remember which right now), died in his hotel room between shows(morning and evening) shedding water with diruetics.

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!