Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Cutting Fat and Gaining Muscle

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/06/30, 11:58 PM
The subject has been bothering me. I would like to lose a little bit of fat (just a low enough body fat% to see my abs better), but at the same time I want to gain a lot of muscle mass. I already have a good workout routine. All I want to know is how should I diet in order to do this? I've heard it's impossible from some, and others say it's possible but very difficult. I'm willing to do the difficult if anyone can help. thanks

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/01, 12:00 AM
I also forgot to mention that I am very very active.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/01, 12:25 AM
Did some research ....http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
this site has a good article and the diet seems to make sense to me.....I think I'm going to do it next week...what do yall think?

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/07/01, 10:46 AM
You need to know your maintenance calories. From there make sensible calorie adjustments so you do not have a loss of muscle right off the bat. Many folks make too drastic a cut right at the beginning, and suffer an immediate muscle loss. Patience is a virtue with fat loss diets. 1 lb. per week is an excellent loss. Start your calorie deficit with a 250 calorie decrease, let that run its course, and continue on making caloric deficits as needed. This can be accomplished also by adding caloric expenditure, this way you get to keep some food.! You can't keep cutting calories forever!! after a few weeks, usually about 7, you may have to actually increase your calories for a bit to re-regulate metabolism and keep your thyroid functioning well.

============
Quoting from arondaballer:

The subject has been bothering me. I would like to lose a little bit of fat (just a low enough body fat% to see my abs better), but at the same time I want to gain a lot of muscle mass. I already have a good workout routine. All I want to know is how should I diet in order to do this? I've heard it's impossible from some, and others say it's possible but very difficult. I'm willing to do the difficult if anyone can help. thanks

=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/07/01, 10:48 AM
One othre note, not to knock any other site, but many of the bodybuilding.com articles are good, but they also let anyone write one and they are not always scientifically based. I answer questions on there alot, and am amazed at the stuff I read in some of them. Just a word of caution.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/06, 10:48 AM
thanks