Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Cutting carbs

t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2003/05/05, 01:36 PM
I know various people have already posted on this subject and everyone has they're own opinion on the Atkins based diets that are about. I just wanted to post a little bit about my experience.
For quite a while I have avoided diets like the plague! Faddy or otherwise. Then I read an article my mum gave me about a diet very similar to the Atkins but only over a short period of time and a lot of it made sense.
It seemed like it was written for me - weight gain mainly around the waist, too many carbs not enough protein.
Anyway to cut a long story short over the last two weeks I've followed the eating plan. Dramatically cut my carbs and increased my protein. Not only have I really enjoyed my meals but in the two weeks I've changed the way I eat I've lost weight and I'm definately much less bloated.
I don't know exactly how much cos I never weighed myself at the start. What I do know is I tried on about 4 pairs of jeans/trousers that I haven't worn for well over a year and a half and they fit me :)
I know this kind of thing doesn't work for everyone - and I especially know I have to work hard at not falling back into the nutritional bad habits I've had for so long.
But between putting a bit of effort into my meals and getting stuck in at the gym I'm well on my way.
I can't wait to start my new ft program and see more changes in my body and the way I feel.
Now I'm off to party wearing clothes I didn't think I'd ever fit into, feeling a lot more confident about myself and with a BIG GRIN.
Miyu
Miyu
United States
2003/05/05, 01:52 PM
Rock on T-babe! I started my own protein diet today and I'm REALLY, very happy to hear about your sucess.
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/05, 02:33 PM
...Cutting my carb intake worked for me with the weight loss as well....Glad to hear about your GRIN :o) Keep it up!
youngin
youngin
Canada
2003/05/05, 05:24 PM
That is great. Did you eliminate all carbs? As for protein, I am at a loss. I do the chicken breast, protein shakes, egg whites. but after that I just don't know what else to eat. There are alot of things that I don't like ie.cottage cheese.

============
Quoting from T-babe:

I know various people have already posted on this subject and everyone has they're own opinion on the Atkins based diets that are about. I just wanted to post a little bit about my experience.
For quite a while I have avoided diets like the plague! Faddy or otherwise. Then I read an article my mum gave me about a diet very similar to the Atkins but only over a short period of time and a lot of it made sense.
It seemed like it was written for me - weight gain mainly around the waist, too many carbs not enough protein.
Anyway to cut a long story short over the last two weeks I've followed the eating plan. Dramatically cut my carbs and increased my protein. Not only have I really enjoyed my meals but in the two weeks I've changed the way I eat I've lost weight and I'm definately much less bloated.
I don't know exactly how much cos I never weighed myself at the start. What I do know is I tried on about 4 pairs of jeans/trousers that I haven't worn for well over a year and a half and they fit me :)
I know this kind of thing doesn't work for everyone - and I especially know I have to work hard at not falling back into the nutritional bad habits I've had for so long.
But between putting a bit of effort into my meals and getting stuck in at the gym I'm well on my way.
I can't wait to start my new ft program and see more changes in my body and the way I feel.
Now I'm off to party wearing clothes I didn't think I'd ever fit into, feeling a lot more confident about myself and with a BIG GRIN.
=============
sypress
sypress
Canada
2003/05/05, 06:45 PM
Good for you T-babe ! I too noticed changes when i upped my protien intake. The first week i lost 2.8 lbs. I measured myself today and lost a lot of inches. Keep up the great work.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/05/06, 01:52 AM
I truly believe that cutting carbs is not the best way to change your body. Carbs are your body's primary source of energy. I, too, have lost a lot of body fat and am quite lean at the moment. I think the key is not in eliminating carbs, but in making better choices. Whole grain pasta, bread and rice are far better for your body. Eat smaller portions, but still EAT! I have seen amazing results from making these simple changes. I did increase my protein intake to help with building muscle, but protein alone is not enough. You will never get optimum performance from a poorly fueled body. Besides, isn't it better to adopt a healthier nutrition lifestyle that you can maintain for the rest of your life that still allows you to lose the weight you want, than to try an extreme diet that deprives you that you can't keep on the long term? I know I'm very opinionated, I have just seen the results of proper nutrition as opposed to fads. Atkins and other no/low carb diets ARE fads! Good luck to you, and congratulations on your progress so far.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
jefado
jefado
United States
2003/05/06, 11:28 AM
Unless you were like me and all the carbs you obtained were from twinkies :o) Not such a bad thing to ditch...I meant to maintain a reasonable carb amount and not go overboard with 'em.....I keep mine at about 100-150 grams a day and this works for me <smile>
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2003/05/06, 12:56 PM
No I don't agree that cutting carbs is the best way either. Which is why I've always stayed far away from Atkins because long term I think it's unhealthy. However, I would say that the three week period I'm watching my eating is more like a detox. And a way of re-educating my body and myself about proper nutrition. One thing it has taught me was I was eating way to many carbs and getting very little protein in my diet. During the week I would mainly eat chicken with jar sauces and either pasta or rice!
All I'm doing is cleaning my body out of all the processed and bad carbs which have been clogging up my system. After this week I'll start having carbs in my diet again but it'll be through wholemeal bread, brown rice etc and I'll also make sure my protein is enough. Which hopefully will give me the fuel I need to see further changes through exercise and nutrition.
And believe me, even though I'm watching what I eat i'm still eating. The last fortnight I've been cutting carbs i've noticed i'm not hungry.
In the main I would agree with people that say atkins isn't healthy - however some of the principles make sense regards high processed carbs being bad for you.
At the end of the day everyone is different. This worked for me in a couple of ways. I've lost weight and feel better about myself and its shown me the problems I had with my eating and how to rectify them.
Miyu
Miyu
United States
2003/05/06, 02:04 PM
You've got to do what works for you... there is so much information out there, and everybody has an opinion. I'm just wading through it- trying out, keeping or discarding the things I've found work or don't work for me in particular. I've been doing "perimeter" shopping. I buy the foods along the perimeter of the store- Produce, dairy, meats, bread... I try to stay away from the center isles food-wise. It helps me keep down the amount of processed food I eat. Regarding the protein diets fads... I do agree Effalunt, they are not sustainable. However, knowing this, I am using my particular fad diet as tool, I will only be doing this for 2 weeks max, knowing that I will follow up with healthy eating and good nutrition for the long term. (As I increase my knowledge of what exactly "good" nutrition is.) It's a learning process that from what I've seen, read, heard... is highly individual.
CarbLO
CarbLO
United States
2003/05/08, 02:59 PM
What’s the reason for this increase? Carbohydrates. The old thinking was that FAT made us fat. So, we all began eating fat free (but high carbohydrate) foods. The result? We got 30% fatter! High carbohydrate foods such as Potatoes, rice, pasta and bread cause your body to store more of what you eat as fat!.The CARB-LO diet system is truly a breakthrough. I highly recommend it

--------------
The old thinking was that fat made us fat
http://www.Maliburep.com
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/08, 04:22 PM
I agree with your statement that the nation, as a whole, has become more obese after the "fat makes you fat" trend in the early 90s; however, it was not the carbs that did it all by themselves. What happened was that people started to eat carbs excessively in order to make up for the Kcals they were missing from the lost fats. In other words, fat intake decreased, so let's double our carb intake! While at the same time, they became more lazy, less active, and decided to sit in front of video games/computers for longer periods of time (for example). As a result: Kcals expended down + intake of Kcals up = more fat storage.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/05/08, 04:34 PM
CARBS ARE NOT THE DEVIL. Overeating is the problem. I couldn't agree with you more Rev, as I have in a few other posts as well.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/05/08, 04:38 PM
I eat sweet potatoes, brown rice, spinach pasta, and oatnut bread, Great carbs and I made this choice all by myself, Well Ron had a little to do with it lol. It is all in the choices a person makes.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
nerraw
nerraw
United States
2003/05/27, 03:17 PM
Hi all,
I ahve scrolled through this stream and have a comment.
I initiated the Atkins and a gym regime around the same time, 12th March 2003. To date I have shed 26 pounds and continue to lose inches and firm up all round. In addition I haven't felt as energetic as I do right now, for many years.
I have spent many hours digesting the books written by Atkins...and in not one does he advocate a complete abstinance from Carbs, instead he urges a minmal intake, around 20 g per day for the intitial phase of the diet, thereafter a gradual increase of 5 grams for the period of a week.
In addition he promotes a healthy gym routine of at least 20 minutes a day. It also advises a constant consumption of H2O to keep the liver going.
This diet seems to be working for me. My sister suggested I go for it after she successfully shed 70 pounds over nine months....given this I'd say Atkins is no Fad, it's a very real review of your eating and life style habits.
padams
padams
United Kingdom
2003/05/28, 07:59 AM
I have never really tried so called fad diets as I know I will never still to them, I have alway just tried to eat relatively healthy. After reading the posts here I think I may benefit from cutting down on my carbs as I do eat quite a lot of them and I eat very little meat of any kind, I feel bloated for the majority of the day now think it may be down to the amount of carbs I eat, I'd never really thought about it before, so thanx for the posts I believe they may have helped me.

--------------
Pol