Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Curse of the Midnight Munchies

treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/04, 03:50 PM
I eat like crap all day - meaning I don't eat much. I run the gammit on whether what I eat is diet conscience or not. The thing that gets me (I think) is that I've never been an all night sleeper. I wake up minimum 5 times a night and am famished every time I do. My food of choice is breakfast cereal which is, as I'm sure most of you know, full of sugar (even the so called healthy ones) and carbs. I know I won't stop eating when I'm half asleep so am wondering what might serve as a hearty substitute that won't contribute to the growth of my new nemesis - love handles.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/04, 10:28 PM
You might want to try a high protein source for your snack, like low fat cottage cheese, (I know, you don't like that)or even a protein shake. Protein takes longer to digest, and much healthier.
Hope this helps.

--------------
\"A will finds a way, failure is not an option\"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/05, 10:27 AM
tradhead, your body is forcing you to mke up for your caloric deficit during the day.
You need to make some lifestyle changes to combat those love handles, not find a better nighttime snack.
The thing about eating right during the day is that it makes a huge difference in your physique, your energy levels, your mental attitude, everything.
You need to sit down and prioritize your goaals. figure out a way to get better nutrition during the day, what are your challenges and how many of them are real, how many obstacles do you put in your own path?

Planning meals and preparing food ahead helps a lot.

Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

ood luck.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/05, 05:05 PM
asimmer/carivan - thanks for the input. I guess I'm trying to adjust to the fact that I'm no longer able to pile any amount of anything into my mouth and have it do nothing to me. I was telling someone else that gaining mass which isn't muscle when you're a slim framed person is a bad combo. It REALLY shows up. I kind of figured I was going to have to be more pro-active when it comes to diet. The whole planning thing means seems pretty daunting - especially since no one in my house is going to want to make the adjustment with me. My skinny as a post daughter is a sugar hound and my wife is a carbo hound. Great combo. I'm going to have to walk the aisles of the supermarket and really look hard at what I can/should be eating. I haven't a clue right now. My wife thinks I'm too bothered by this. I think if I didn't have a slim frame she'd be more understanding but it's kind of hard to get any support when you're 6'0 and tipping the scales at 205. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but my normal build should have me around 185.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/05, 05:21 PM
look at the posts grocery list for a bodybuilder and expensive nutrition, they both have good ideas for easy shopping.

Start with gradual changes, so it isn't so overwhelming.
And just because your family is thin, it doesn't mean they are fit or healthy. eating right is something the whole family can benefit from, and i don't mean you all go on an atkin's type diet.
A balanced lifestyle includes whole garins, vegetables and fruits, which are invaluable for the nutrients and fiber they supply.
Eating right and exercising will bring your family closer together - even skinny people get high bloood pressure, cardiovascualr disease and other diseases related to a sedentary lifestyle and poor nutrition choices.

I had to put my foot down and make seperate food for myself for a while before my husband joined my healthier lifestyle, and my daughter still has some kid food, but she has no idea when I substitute olive oil for butter or that most kids don't eat baby carrots instead of fries with their burgers... if you tell them you ar doing it for your health and that you want them to live long healthy lives, too, maybe they will see it diferently.
And you are right - it somehow looks worse on tall, skinny guys when they start to get a gut. maybe because it sticks out ore. That is similar to how I feel when i am a little overweight as opposed to being extremely overweight, I feel like it looks worse to be acrrying ten extra pounds because it is so much more noticeable than a bigger amount of exces weight.(I have done both, believe me).
Good luck!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2004/03/06, 05:39 PM
To battle midnight munchies altogether...before you go to bed(about a half hour) have a slow absorbing protein shake, OR take a teaspoon of peanut butter with a teasponn of flax seed oil. It won't take the urge completely away but it helps. I did this when I dieted for my last show and I'm doing it now for my next show...it really helps.:dumbbell:

--------------
I can beat Mario Brothers without losing a life.

Jdelts@freetrainers.com
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/08, 06:34 PM
asimmer - thanks again. I'm not too worried about my daughter. Her tastes are starting to mature so am getting her to accept 'other' types of foods, namely healthier. My wife, despite wanting to be thinner, comes from a bread and pasta background and finds it hard not to indulge - which of course causes the rest of us to indulge. I can't deny that carbs ARE filling and keep me going the longest until I'm hungry again. This is the silver bullet I'm looking for - something that's filling but not in the carb family. Is there anything like this out there?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/09, 01:15 PM
Carbs are not the enemy - go for whole grains and they will sustain you longer.

Wasa crisp bread, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain bread.
Also, some foods can be eaten to fill you up without contributing a lot of calories (volumetrics0, these include fibrous vegetables, apples, high-fiber cereals and high-fiber bread and crackers.
Having some healthy fat with your meaLS HELPS YOU FEEL FULL LONGER, ALSO, ADD A LITTLE OLIVE OIL OR NUTS TO YOUR MEALS, A SPOONFUL OF NUT BUTTER, OR SOME AVOCADO SLICES, A LITTLE LOW FAT CHEESE, THESE WILL AL HELP YOU FEEL SATISFIED AND FULL LONGER. oOPS, i HIT THTA DANG CAPS LOCK AGAIN, SORRY not trying to yell.....:surprised:

--------------