Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Couldn't believe my eyes!!!!!

plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/24, 11:31 PM
Now I have heard rumors repetedly of this happening but I have never actually seen it before. I was at the gym doing a set of dunbell presses when I noticed a group of guys attenpting to do barbell curls, IN THE SQUAT CAGE!! Now I know this may not suprise some, but I was actually embarassed to see it! The worst part was it almost looked lik they were doing a variation of a reverse grip clean! I apologize for the rant, but I just couldn't hold that one in as it was tearing me up. Sorry.

--------------
\\"Knowledge & persistence is all one needs to succeed\"\
---Patrick L.
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/24, 11:33 PM
Dunbell, I meant DUMBbell, gotta get that spell checker working.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/25, 08:37 AM
I do Barbell curls in the squat cage at times......using a regualr sized barbell adds differetn stress I think over the smaller fixed barbells we have. I really see nothing wrong as long as there are other cages, if not use other means for them of course!1 LOL

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/25, 10:42 AM
I could understand if they were simply using the cage for the bar, however ther are plenty of alternative bars/ stations they could have used & this was the only cage. personally I believe if they can't deadlift the bar to a starting position they have no place trying to curl it.LOL

PS. they only had 1 plate per side & ain addition to using the cage for a spot, they were also using 2 spotters.

--------------
---Patrick L.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/25, 10:45 AM
by one plate do you a 45lb plate or a 10 or 5 etc?

--------------
Squats are really a very good thing, but in my world, Deadlifts are King!!!!!!!!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/25, 12:00 PM
Ok at the risk of sounding really stupid, what is the cage for anyway? Storage? Everyone always brings the bar outside the cage to use it and then puts it back in when done. Is there an actual move that you are supposed to do inside it?

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/06/25, 12:14 PM
Its use is so that if you do squats you can set the saftey bars to catch the bar if you get caught underneath it!

--------------
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/25, 12:24 PM
The only time I use the squat rack for curls is when I have to. 99% of the time, I use the platform that we have at my gym. Most people don't even know what squats are, let alone actually use the cage properly, except for the few brave souls that venture over there, and pound out some bad ass squats (I am sure some of us here fall into that catergory)
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/06/25, 01:56 PM
Actually there is a training method that involves rev. cleans. I use it when I train for the shot put for track. It hits the muscles a lot different then just doing a regular clean...Sounds to me though like you got yourself a handfull of "cheaters". Just give them time when they either 1. realize-"Hey, this sh!t isn't working"
2.A real weight lifter comes over and pops out 8-12 with the same weight in strict form. When he actually looks big enough to do it. Then and only then will they realize that they are acting like complete and total morons, not to mention they would be making a bad rep. for themselves.

--------------
Contrary to popular belief, bouncing the weight does NOT work the muscle...huh...who\'d a thunk it. ~Dick
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/25, 03:24 PM
They were 45's, & I'm pretty sure these guys have never used a squat rack for its intended pourpose. Im sure you guys have seen the type, you always see them working chest & arms & never see them doing legs or back. I just don't see the benefit of being able to dumbell press a pair of 150's for reps if you cant lift them off the ground & have to have two people to hand them to you once your on the bench. I apologize if I offended anyone, but sometimes the powerlifter in me takes control of my emotions.

--------------
---Patrick L.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/06/26, 02:38 PM
Come on now, these guys probably think the cage makes a nice frame around their "hot bodies" in the mirrors. The ones that crack me up are the ones that "curl" the big bars by rocking back and forth and heaving the thing around. The grunts are a nice effect. I feel like going up and saying "do you like your vertebrae?" "how do you feel about your knees?" Sheesh! These are the people that know how to chest press with poor form and curl like madmen. They alternate between the two whilst making all sorts of questionable noises, then grab a smoothie and go home.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/06/27, 10:03 AM
I sometimes use the power rack when doing heavy curls. When I am on a intense hardcore arm day, I like to sometimes do rest/pause for added burn. With a full bar and 45 lb. or better on each side, I use the saftey bars for my rest pause to squeeze out more reps. If this is not there, I cannot do this. I think much can depend on the type/amount of weight you are using.

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
plfitness
plfitness
United States
2003/06/28, 10:30 AM
bb1, although I doubt tht was what these guys were doing I do see your point on using the cage for balistic rest/pause training.I had never thought of that application & it makes alot of sense. I guess the sying is true "education is the discovery of our own ignorance", thanks for bringing that one up!

--------------
---Patrick L.