Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

conflict of interest?

hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2002/12/05, 09:27 AM
My goal is to lose 20 lbs or so, and to tone up. Also to strengthen my back and abs to prevent injury. When I signed in here, I also clicked on increasing chest mass (who wouldn't want too?). I have read in these messages that you have to eat to gain mass, yet I am trying to lose weight. Should I hold off on the chest until I am happy w/ my weight?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/05, 09:46 AM
Probably so...it is very hard to gain mass and lose weight, darn near impossible. By the very definition of mass, you need to take in more calories. If you are not happy with your weight now(overweight), you may want to hold off on the mass portion and do the toning first. Best of luck. You can do it. A step at a time...

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2002/12/05, 10:26 AM
bb1, your not advocating not lifting for his chest are you? Also, if he is overweight, the fat will help fuel his body. Isn't that why when you reduce your calorie intake, you lose weight? Everyday someone ask this question and we have gone around and around about it. Why not lift heavy while trying to lose weight? Increased muscle mass, which I think you will have more of by lifting heavy than lifting light regardless of your diet, burns more calories. Only when you get down to 10-12% bodyfat (or lower) should you alter things to work on dropping bodyfat or gaining mass specifically. Even then, I just don't think it is optimal, physically or mentally, to go through this type of up and down. Most people wouldn't even know how to diet back down from a "mass" program without losing muscle gains in the process. I say eat clean, lift hard, and feel better.
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2002/12/05, 01:35 PM
Hmmmm....Anymore thoughts out there?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/05, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't do the mass program. I would concentrate on your main program first. Eat well and consistent training and rest. It will come.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada