Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Compartment syndrome

bowen94
bowen94
United Kingdom
2008/09/19, 10:44 AM
I've recently been told that i've developed chronic exetional compartment syndrome. I get an extreme tightness in my calves when doing any sort of running and it continues to become even tighter until i end up in a lot of pain + i get pins + needles all over my lower leg and my feet then go numb! I wondered if anyone has any advice or tips on how to relieve the condition bar surgery, which seems to be the only cure? Thanks.
2008/09/19, 12:22 PM
If surgery is the only cure and it only happens when you run, then do something besides running.
bowen94
bowen94
United Kingdom
2008/09/20, 05:49 AM
If i could then i would but my job requires me to run occasionally, was hoping that someone could suggest something that could help it if not cure it

============
Quoting from KA:

If surgery is the only cure and it only happens when you run, then do something besides running.
=============
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/09/23, 02:58 PM
If you can't fulfill the requirements of the job (ie. occasional running) then they should move you to another job or give you disability. Some companies will cover that if you can prove it was developed as part of the job.
pointforpoke
pointforpoke
United States
2009/04/29, 03:45 PM
I have compartment syndrome to, and will most likely receive the surgery on both legs once we get back stateside (deployed to iraq)

I tend to avoid all calf-centric exercises and anything with an up-down motion and it sets my legs off. I use the eliptical as its not as hard on my legs, though occasionally causes a flair up.

As for curing compartment syndrome, try seeing a physical therapist, it only works for a few people but perhaps it will for you. It failed miserably for me (actually made mine worse) If you don't want pain the only other thing I would suggest is to avoid the activities that cause pain.