Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

College football players

drquack11223
drquack11223
United States
2007/01/23, 02:48 PM
Any current or former college football players willing to spread some wisdom on what extra things would help to get to the next level? I love football so much and i cant stand to think that next year might be my last year. I work hard in the weight room at least 4 days a week and i do lots of agility drills to keep my footwork in order and i dont get rusty. I made second team all-state for offenceive line in VA but i would prefer to play defence in college so i dont have to pack on as much weight. (i made roughly 80 tackles this year as a defencive end. But i can lay nose/tackle as well)
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2007/01/23, 10:46 PM
Try taking a look around the Strength Training thread; some great discussions going on around there!

--------------
Michael

Those who think they know everything, annoy those of us who really do.
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2007/01/25, 12:50 PM
In the offseason, you could do a bulking phase, and put on as much muscle as possible, and try to limit the fat you put on. About a couple months before pre-season, you could trim down a bit. It is tough to "have a beach body" and be successful at football at the same time, especially playing line. You're gonna need all the weight you have and more. But my advice would be to stay in the weight room and stay discipline. Contact as many coaches as you can to help your chances of playing college.
drquack11223
drquack11223
United States
2007/01/25, 06:29 PM
thanks for the info. i;ve been sending all my stuff out and im workin on my tape this weekend. gonna put it on a dvd. i've dropped 20lb since football, not on purpose, i think i just started eating healthier thanks to ya'll. but i have gotten much stronger. I want to pack on as much muscle weight as i can before football, which is creeping up every few weeks i have been noticeing. i neber knew i needed so much protein before!
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/01/26, 02:46 PM
bulking and staying lean are kind of an oxymoron when in the same sentence :)
drquack11223
drquack11223
United States
2007/01/30, 08:40 PM
hmm, we i didnt say that. but anyways my tape is almost done. out cameraman last year sucked ALOT. he would spend more time recording the birds rather than watching the play. He also would lose who had the ball and would follow the player who faked a handoff and didnt have the ball. much fun!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/01, 11:06 AM
make sure the weight you gain is usable weight and muscle. Don't bulk up in the sense of bodybuilding...extra weight will slow you down.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
drquack11223
drquack11223
United States
2007/02/01, 07:34 PM
i understand. Im getting over the flu now unfortunatly and due to bad weather here i havnt been in a weight room to do any real workouts for about 5 days now. I'll be in one tommarow to squat and powerclean. I just did a bunch of speed drills (plyometrics) and conditioning today. I went to go bench and could barely get 230 up. I guess im still recovering.
2007/02/12, 01:29 AM
Focus on the big lifts. Deadlifts, Squats, Push Presses, Weighted Chins, Weighted Dips, Bent Over ROws, etc.

Choose some basic programs like 5x5, 3x3, push/pull/squat or whatever else and stick with it...

your goal is to get stronger and more athletic. Gaining weight/muscle will rely in big part on your nutrition. So eat more quality calories, healthy fats, complex carbs, lean proteins, etc...

Do conditioning on separate days from lifting weights or afterwards (later in the day)....HIIT, weight complexes, sprints are all good...also sled dragging, car pulling/pushing is also great.....sandbag training pays off dividents as well...strongman stuff like tire flipping, farmer walks, etc are also amazing...

2007/02/12, 01:31 AM
check out www.sherdog.com strength and power forum. It's primarily for MMA fighters but a lot of their training is applicable to many other types of athletes.

train your grip as well....www.gripboard.com
it will improve your game tremendously....
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/02/12, 05:20 PM
If you plan on being a defensive lineman, I would suggest really concentrating on leg and upper body strength. Nothing like having leverage over your opponent because of strong legs and then if they get their paws on ya, being able to muscle 'em out of your way :)
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/13, 11:43 AM
Well to be a defesive lineman i'd say you need to be minium weight is 250....or your gonna be shoved around like a puppy.

We played the gamecocks this year....their offensive lineman average was 6'2 280-290

NFL they want you over 300

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
drquack11223
drquack11223
United States
2007/02/13, 10:25 PM
Yea i know, my weight will be up come football season. Thanks for the info guys, im going to the nike combine next month in Baltimore, and im going to the NATS combine in june which is also in baltimore. I've been doing at least 100 pushups every day and working out im the weight room at least 4 days a week. I need to get my bench up and everything because that is a apparently huge indicator to them on your strength. (rep 185 as many times as you can) I was able to get it up 9 times yesterday, which is pitiful. I want to get it to 15 if i can (maybe by spring), but that is a huge reach i think. Every week i rotate high weight low rep workouts with low weight high rep workouts. along with close grip bench and a little wide grip, along with dumbell bench variations (incline, decline, military, regular)
and dont you worry, im box squattin and squattin evry week, along with some over head squats. The list goes on, if ya'll got any more ideas please let me know!
bgmic58
bgmic58
United States
2007/06/26, 10:08 AM
Some of the greatest NFL Stars were not the greatest in the weight room. Commitment and a bad-Ass Attitude on the field (A Good attitude off the field) is what it takes to make it!
2007/06/27, 11:30 AM
so you drag out a 3-4 month old post to make that backwards statement? well yea...to be a great fighter you have to fight well...to be a great basketball player you have to ....surprise be good in basketball....what bad ass attitude are you talking about? all else equal smart weight training pays huge dividents for ANY athlete....obviously being strong wont help if you got no technique as a boxer/MMAer, basketball player, etc....technique is #1 in just about anything...but strength training is right up there along with conditioning....