Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Clarification about protein powder...

brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/15, 12:37 PM
I remember seeing a post here about mixing pp with milk not too long ago. I believe bb1 posted about how it has been discovered (or maybe known all along?) that it is ok to do that.

Seems like I read a good while back that mixing it with milk made it absorb too slowly to be benificial during the crucial time period after a workout.

So just to be sure, it is ok? I hope so, because I just enjoy it so much more with milk.

Also, shoud I mix in some quick oats and make a shake, or is the protein shake alone good enough. I've read alot about the fact that you need carbs after a workout as well as before. If so why? If you aren't planning on doing anything but rest the remainder of the day that is. I could understand getting more carbs in if you were going out or something.

Thanks alot. :dumbbell:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/15, 12:46 PM
In muy research, why not get the best of both worlds? Use whey, and use some casein. For example, I use 3 scoops of Mass Maker, (predominately casein and egg), one scoop of a high grade isolate, and then chug about 4 oz. of chocolate milk!

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/15, 12:56 PM
Great!, My sentiments exactly. Plus the milk adds some extra protein as well.

Just wanted to make sure. like I said, seems like at one time I read, (may not have been here) that it was better to mix it with water.

So should I throw in some oats as well? Even if I just plan on lounging the rest of the day?

Thanks again.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/15, 02:35 PM
I would not do the oats....though some will argue it is fine. I find it hard to explain digestion when chyme is sitting in your gut.

Then again, years ago before I knew anything about 'science' of bodybuilding, I used to run home and eat a big meal(usually steak and pasta). So, use your judgement.

My best theory now is to do as I posted, the blend, and then have your next regularly scheduled meal of whatever you want. If I am bulking, I will do so in around 1 hr., if dieting, I will wait usually 2 hours or more.

My prior post was for those who are gainng. Not on a diet.

--------------
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/15, 02:59 PM
Maybe I'll try a bit of both worlds. I love the taste of the oats mixed in with some peanut butter.

I'm not really trying to lose, or gain. Just bulk up. Or maybe that falls into the "gaining" catagory.

At any rate, thanks for the info. :dumbbell:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/15, 03:03 PM
I would say 'bulk up' falls into the gaining category. :)

--------------
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/09/15, 03:23 PM
Oat's added to skakes are 1st meals of the day types, people that would rather drink the oat then rather eat them therefore it's not a protien shkae but a Oat's shake or Meal Replacement Shake. I do ad Whey to the shake 1/2 scoop and milk also eggwhites but this is to get it too a balanced meal shake but it's not a Protien shake too me a Protien shake to me is a shake where your srtickly look just for that Protien!

============
Quoting from brandon7:

I remember seeing a post here about mixing pp with milk not too long ago. I believe bb1 posted about how it has been discovered (or maybe known all along?) that it is ok to do that.

Seems like I read a good while back that mixing it with milk made it absorb too slowly to be benificial during the crucial time period after a workout.

So just to be sure, it is ok? I hope so, because I just enjoy it so much more with milk.

Also, shoud I mix in some quick oats and make a shake, or is the protein shake alone good enough. I've read alot about the fact that you need carbs after a workout as well as before. If so why? If you aren't planning on doing anything but rest the remainder of the day that is. I could understand getting more carbs in if you were going out or something.

Thanks alot. :dumbbell:
=============
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/15, 03:24 PM
LOL, yeah I guess. When I said "gain", I meant I'm not trying to gain weight. I'm already plenty big (6'3", 255).

I just want more of it to be muscle. :big_smile:
Elantraa
Elantraa
United States
2006/09/16, 01:14 AM
when you drink your oats do you simply stir the quick oats in your mix, be it water or milk and down it goes? or do u let the oats sit in water first and let them get moist before mixing?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/09/16, 09:36 AM
Just out of curiosity...does it make a difference???I put mine in the blender with protien and milk for breakfast...am I losing something by not waiting for them to soak up some milk??
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/09/16, 11:16 AM
I just toss all in a blender, soaking will still leave it real thick and I don't want that, I want to slam it down real fast and move on.

Sometimes for my secondon meal I'll have Oat's and eggs and eat both but that 1st meal for me is best blended.

============
Quoting from elantraa:

when you drink your oats do you simply stir the quick oats in your mix, be it water or milk and down it goes? or do u let the oats sit in water first and let them get moist before mixing?
=============
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/09/16, 11:19 AM
I don't think so oats are oats besides you can buy them thicker or thin as it is so I'd so no difference at all.

I think the soakers like it thick and real cold!

============
Quoting from KC_72:

Just out of curiosity...does it make a difference???I put mine in the blender with protien and milk for breakfast...am I losing something by not waiting for them to soak up some milk??
=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/16, 11:56 AM
Yep, oats are oats. The biggest difference is a bit of change in glycemic index from say instant oats to regular oats. This is simply due to the fact that instant oats are thinner, thus cook up easily(instant). If you take and blend them(shred them), you basically end up with instant anyway.

--------------
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/09/16, 12:06 PM
....so...forgive my thick headedness here....I've heard over and over to stay away from the instant...and by blending mine all up I'm getting instant anyway??...yer killin me here...does it make a much of a difference to shred them?....I'm really not an oats fan to begin with...but they are the only thing I can work with in the morning...can't stand eggs...so oats and protien all blended up was working for me...or am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill here????
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/16, 12:15 PM
Bottom line, changes the glycemic index a bit.
By shredding the food(blender), you increase the rate of gastric emptying. This is the knock. But, little relevance in the big scheme of things, as you are taking in a 'mixed' meal. This is where GI faults out as a useful 'tool' they make it out to be.

For instance, if GI was so important to weight loss, why wouldn't jelly beans (low GI because sucrose is low on the GI) better than a baked potato (relatively high GI)?

Bottom line answer is it is much harder to overeat a potato than jelly beans and it comes down to calories at the end of the day.

--------------
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/09/16, 12:25 PM
Ok...I get it...no more jelly beans for breakfast!!

seriously...I get it thanks for the clarification!!!Somrtimes I find myself getting hung up on something small,like to shred or not,and forget about the big picture...thanks again!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/16, 12:46 PM
Yeah, you really don't have to make a thesis out of your diet. There is no 'law' that you have to be miserable when dieting. Many folks think that if you are not eating cardboard rice cakes and drinking water, you cannot be dieting. By the way, another good point. If potatoes are so bad, and white rice so bad, why are rice cakes good? :laugh: Answer again, who can eat more than one rice cake? They taste like crap(unless you get the sugary flavored ones, and then you eat too many), it is because you don't overeat them like you would another snack(thus again comes down to calories and not some magic index).

--------------
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/16, 01:30 PM
I like to let mine sit in the frezzer (already mixed up) for a while during my workout. I kinda like it thick. Then I cut up a bannana and add it. I like the chunks.

The main reason I wanted to add the oats was because I've heard such good things about it lowering cholesterol, and just being overall good for you. I'm not a breakfast person, takes a couple of hours before I can even think of eating anything other than a piece of fruit. So I don't really like the oats in the AM, in any form.

Thanks for all of the info bb1. :dumbbell:
Elantraa
Elantraa
United States
2006/09/16, 05:54 PM
alright, im blending my oats from now on, im so sick of eating a cup of oats every morning, takes me a half hour to do so now. and im so damn full from just that.

thanks guys/girl.

and can i blend my protein powder instead of just eating the powder with a spoon, i heard its so much better if u mix it with milk or water, is that true?

...:laugh: :cool:
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/16, 05:58 PM
Just an observation, but why must you eat oats all the time? Bodybuilding wisdom somehow has oats as the optimal food, if you don't eat them something is wrong with you or you will never make gains. :)

I mean, there are lots of good whole grain cerial that is really good, good breads that will fill the carb needs, etc.

--------------
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/16, 07:43 PM
Main reason - price.

They are so cheap, and I like them alot in shakes, as well as just a bowl of oatmeal in the evening for a snack.

Whole grain cereals are for the most part, at least in my neck of the woods, kinda pricy. As is whole grain bread. I know it is probably a lack of dedication, but I'm not spending 2.50 on a loaf of whole grain bread, when I can get a loaf of white or wheat in the store's brand for .50. We have our first child due in December, bought our new brick house last year, as well as a new vehicle, which we HAD to have.

In short, every penny counts, as neither one of us make alot.

If, I'm missing cheap ways to get whole grains into the house please let me know. I open to suggestions, trust me.

Thanks for taking the time help me out fit. :)

Oh, and are all whole grain foods just as good for lowering cholesterol as oats? Just curious.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Just an observation, but why must you eat oats all the time? Bodybuilding wisdom somehow has oats as the optimal food, if you don't eat them something is wrong with you or you will never make gains. :)

I mean, there are lots of good whole grain cerial that is really good, good breads that will fill the carb needs, etc.

=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/09/16, 09:14 PM
Fine, nothing at all wrong with oats. Just wondering, it seems that anyone who is in the dogma of the bodybuilding world feels they have to eat oats every day or they will not progress. :big_smile:

--------------
brandon7
brandon7
United States
2006/09/17, 07:17 AM
I see. I didn't realize that that was the case. Like I said, honestly I try to eat a few everyday for cholesterol reasons. I saw an episode of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown on the Food Network (love that guy) in which he basicly sold me on oats. That combined with learning the popularity of them as far as in MRS's here, and well, figured I couldn't go wrong with them.

Thanks again for the info. :dumbbell: