Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

clapping pull ups

yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/06, 04:28 PM
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/jerry-hill.avi

I never even thought these were possible.. but for those of you who think you're good at pull ups, try these! :big_smile:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/06/06, 05:09 PM
Ugh.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/06, 05:58 PM
I know.. I can't believe he was even crazy enough to look at the pull up bar and go "I wonder..." haha.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/08, 09:22 PM
Okay, so I tried one of these today and came very close to killing myself. :laugh:
Here's a word of advice.. if you're crazy enough to try one, make sure you've got a spot ready in case you don't pull yourself up high enough and miss coming down. :big_smile:
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/09, 09:34 AM
I did these when I first started doing pull ups for speed work. I stopped when I realized that doing them wasn't helpful if you wanted to keep good form in your pull, since you are supposed to retract the scapula at the top of a pull up, but letting go of the bar makes this impossible.

It also ripped callouses and made my hands bleed.

I still do pull ups for speed every week, but just focus on making each rep explosive from a strict dead hang instead. I know I've gotten faster since I tried them, so I'll give them a try tomorrow and see if they are any easier to do now.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/09, 10:09 AM
Here's something similar but significantly more impressive:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/683651/one_arm_rope_climb_no_legs/

I always feel really weak after watching that.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/09, 10:38 AM
Wow, just watching that makes my arms hurt haha.

I agree that clapping pull ups negatively affect your form, but I still think they're pretty cool. I, for one, will probably never be able to correctly do one, but then again I'm lucky if I get 5 regular pull ups in a row. :laugh:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/06/09, 11:52 AM
HOLY CRAP!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/11, 08:08 PM
Just got back from the gym.

Even though they were my 2nd pulling exercise, I still think I've gotten better at these even while not doing them. I did them for my first set of pull ups and hit 5 easy reps (which is how many speed reps I normally do) on my first set from a dead stop and without kicking my legs.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten better at them more from the speed work than anything. I've gotten a lot stronger since the time I've done them last. I'd have to check an old workout log, but the last time I was doing these I'm pretty sure my best chin up PR was around 45 for a couple reps. Now I can do around 115 extra lbs, so I'm sure the 70 extra lbs (not including bodyweight gain) in extra strength also had something to do with it.

Overall though, my thought is that these are mostly a parlor form of strength. Someone came up to me to tell me how cool that was after I did a set, and I didn't bother explaining that they were easier than they looked. The only place I could see them as being useful in a program is if someone wanted to use their ability to clap as a sign that they were slowing down, since you should usually stop a speed set when you slow down, not wait till you get tired. However, anyone strong enough to do this should know how to gauge the speed of the movement.

Jessica, you've got 6 months and I want to see a video of you doing one of these. I'm not kidding.

That was long winded.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/11, 09:03 AM
So Steve.. have you gotten any better at the clapping pull ups than you were the last time you tried?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/11, 11:23 AM
I'll try today. Wasn't feeling 100% so I didn't train yesterday. I only train when I feel physically and mentally ready, and yesterday wasn't that day, so I put it off.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/12, 12:14 PM
That's awesome that you've gotten better at them! I agree that the extra strength and speed helped; strength so you could pull yourself up easier, and speed to help you get more reps in a shorter amount of time.

Yuck, having to post a video means I'll actually have to start practicing these. Are you sure you just don't want to take my word for it? haha. Luckily I live by a park that has a low bar on its playground that I can use to practice them. That way, if (when) I fall it's no big deal.

It should be interesting though. Right now it's a good day if I get five regular pull ups on my own, and now I've got to add a clap. It's a challenge though, and since I only have to do one, I'm aiming for the end of August at the latest.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/13, 12:08 PM
That 1st video sucked IMO as that guy used nothing but momentum swinging and even pausing to create more swing.

I do them all the time and with added weight and I seem to do them Like Steve says he does and most people don't they to partials.

Start hanging fully extended at a dead stop and pull up not swing up and extend back down.

Most people do then with alligator arms and or swinging for momentum.

If I'm going to do something in the gym I will do it correct or not do it at all and if I'm doing it wrong and the right person lets me know I work on doing it correct.

2nd video was impressive.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/13, 12:53 PM
I understand that the guy was swinging way too much, causing his form to suck. I just had never seen them done before and therefore thought they looked cool.

SFGiantsMVP.. what are alligator arms?

Well, I tried it again today, and while it was better than the first time, I'm still not getting up high enough to clap and then catch myself again. The good thing is that I'm not swinging myself though. My goal isn't for speed, just to be able to do a couple of them eventually.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/13, 01:17 PM
We use that term on goalies in soccer when they don't extend their arms fully and bend them at the elbows making them look like short alligator arms.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/13, 01:38 PM
Jessica, I'm not sure what your current training routine looks like, but I think you'd be well of doing at least one day a week dedicated to 8-12 explosive singles with around 45s TBS, as opposed to constantly trying to do a clapping pull up. Once you get fast and strong enough (these two come together) then I think it'll serve you well to practice the clapping pull ups. If you're already able to pull yourself off the bar you're well on your way.

As far as form, dead hang is the only way to do them, otherwise you lose many of the shoulder saving and strength building benefits of the pull ups. Kipping pull ups may have their benefits, but for the most part they are just a form of cheating.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/13, 01:58 PM
Right now I'm doing total body 3 times a week, with at least 30 minutes moderate cardio a day. I really don't do pull ups at all usually, just randomly if I happen to decide to do a crossfit workout that includes them. I can pull myself up, and I can consecutively do 3-5 at a time without rest. If I'm doing a workout that incorporates them, I do assisted by putting a band under my feet, and usually go to jumping at the end if I can't go anymore.

I can't do dead hanging because I broke my shoulder when I was 11 and I can't comfortably hang for over like 10 seconds, which is also why I think I'm not all that good at regular pull ups. On occasion I do things like monkey bars at the park, but again, I don't do stuff like that often because it hurts.

I'll try to start adding pull ups in to my workouts more, but I really honestly don't like them.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/13, 01:59 PM
So when somebody does pull ups with alligator arms they're not fully extending themselves back down to a hanging position, instead only going about half way down, right?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/06/13, 02:25 PM

============
Quoting from yessicarathsak:

So when somebody does pull ups with alligator arms they're not fully extending themselves back down to a hanging position, instead only going about half way down, right?
=============
Yes

--------------
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/06/13, 04:18 PM
Ok, thank-you.