Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Cardio timing - does it *really* matter

crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/22, 02:20 PM
I've seen such a difference of opinion, I'm wondering if there really is a 'best' time to do cardio. I'm with you on the 'doing it anytime is better than not doing it at all', so far, but if you do have your pick of the time of day, is there a certain time you think is better?

It's easier for me to do mid-late morning - it just fits in with my schedule pretty well, but I can shift it if it would help me get more out of my time.

So far I'm doing it on my non- lifting days so there is no conflict, but would it help to add it on the lifting days or would that be counterproductive?

Thanks,

CJ

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/22, 06:40 PM
It is always better if possible to separate resistance training and cardio, if on the same day, at least by 6-8 hurs. Even more preferential, would be doing them on opposite days. Sure you will burn many more calories if you do cardio immediately following your resistance training, but you will be in a very catabolic state from the resistance training, and without a recovery drink to shut down the cortisol, you will be burning as much muscle as fat if not more, and your resistance training will have been much of a waste other than to burn calories. It will not in any way promote a lean hard body, as your muscle to fat ratio will not improve, though you will lose weight at a faster rate. It is counterproductive to your long term goals.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/23, 07:43 AM
Interesting reading. I've heard you mention 'cortisol' before, but don't really know what it is and how it works, how and why to 'shut it down', etc. Could you fill me in? And what is catabolic?

CJ who's new to all this jargon....
jacksprat
jacksprat
United States
2004/02/23, 06:07 PM
bb1fit. could you mention this to freetrainers. my workout always schedules some cardio following the lifting session.
2004/02/23, 07:02 PM
It does say to perform 25 minutes of cardio but not when. These things are what the boards are for.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/02/23, 07:18 PM
In a nutshell, Cortisol converts muscle tissue to proteins for conversion into glucose. This is your body’s way of producing energy when all other energy (glucose) and stored forms (glycogen) of energy have been depleted. To make up for this depletion of energy your body will go into a process called gluconeogenesis to produce glucose from amino acids in the liver. The end result of this process?? muscle used as energy, and all potential gains down the drain. So, it is necessary to shut off the cortisol spiget as quickly as possible, to get out of a potentially catabolic state into an anabolic one(favorable to building lean tissue). Cardio immediately following a hard weight training session will just do the above. One note, you know how hard you worked out(weights). If you did not work out hard, i.e...talked between sets, not even breathing hard, you will be able to do cardio no problem. You must "earn" this cortisol shut off drink, otherwise you still have plenty of glycogen stores left probably, and then the cardio will just help you burn more calories. You must guage your energy expenditure as to your needs.

============
Quoting from crackerjack:

Interesting reading. I've heard you mention 'cortisol' before, but don't really know what it is and how it works, how and why to 'shut it down', etc. Could you fill me in? And what is catabolic?

CJ who's new to all this jargon....
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....