Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Cardio, Pilates, .... Weight Training??

earth_angel0001
earth_angel0001
United States
2003/02/26, 06:56 PM
Which one will help you lose weight? And how many times per week? Or is it a combination of exercise regimes (along with diet, etc.)?? I currently do about 4-5 days of 1hr. cardio and 4-5 days of pilates training/stretching. My upper body (arms and waist) seems to be slimming down with this routine, but i am not seeing ANY results in my lower half... With my upper body getting smaller/tighter, it almost seems (in comparison) that my lower body is getting bigger! It's probably not, but I am getting extrememly frustrated and not sure what to do to slim the lower half of my body?... More cardio? Longer period? Weight training? I tend to build muscle very quickly, so is the cardio actually hurting me (building big muscles in my legs)??? help, please!!!
JennVice
JennVice
United States
2003/02/27, 02:07 AM
I heard that you're upper body needs to reach a certain body fat percentage before you'll start losing significant results in the lower half (I think the top half needs to be at 25%)... not sure exact numbers though. so just keep reducing the body fat.
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/02/27, 10:08 AM
I think you are doing well with your training earth-angel. I just wouldn't add too much resistance on the elliptical trainer (if that is what you are using for cardio). Go for faster movement with less resistance in order to burn fat without getting too much muscle.

It is definitely frustrating - I hear you. Women seem to take a little while longer than men to loose that extra weight - it just takes a little while longer.

Make sure your diet is correct - that is truly important.
good luck to you - let us know how it's going.
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/02/28, 02:13 PM
I've found that my legs respond really well to weight training. At first I was concerned (very few of us really want bigger legs, right?), but I gave it a try. Here are some things to try:

1. Squats. Awesome. Just make sure you have the right form. I started using the Smith machine first because it keeps the weights in the same vertical plane. You can even try without weights at first or just hand weights.

2. Lunges. I do reverse lunges because I run and want to protect my knees. Reverse lunges pretty much assure me that my knee is not going to end up ahead of my ankle. Again, you can start without weights.

3. Step-ups. Grab a high step or even a bench - something higher than your average stair. Again, begin without weights to get your balance and then use hand weights.

3. Leg curls. At the end of three sets, my workout partner will help me with negatives - I resist my legs going down as he pushes down.