Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Cardio or no cardio?

mmo3
mmo3
United States
2003/03/11, 01:36 AM
I need some advice -
I am 5'10 and 150 pounds. I am trying to lose body fat from my stomach, but since I am thin elsewhere my sister-in-law is telling me I should not do cardio at all. I have very thin shoulders and want to add some shape there (also need more shape in my rear). From what I have read, it seems like I have two choices: lose the bodyfat at the expense of looking like a stick or gain some muscle at the expense of having a little stomach pooch. I know diet is key also. TIA for any suggestions you can give me!
mmo3
mmo3
United States
2003/03/11, 01:38 AM
BTW, I am female. Not sure why it says "empty"?

============
Quoting from mmo3:

I need some advice -
I am 5'10 and 150 pounds. I am trying to lose body fat from my stomach, but since I am thin elsewhere my sister-in-law is telling me I should not do cardio at all. I have very thin shoulders and want to add some shape there (also need more shape in my rear). From what I have read, it seems like I have two choices: lose the bodyfat at the expense of looking like a stick or gain some muscle at the expense of having a little stomach pooch. I know diet is key also. TIA for any suggestions you can give me!

=============
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/03/11, 01:50 AM
It says empty because you haven't fill in your profile yet.

I'm 5'11" and weight 152 lbs....... Close to you (o; but I still do cardio almost every single day. What is necessairy is your diet -eat enough protein and good fat, build up some lean muscle mass and you'll never ever look sticky!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
juliarose
juliarose
United States
2003/08/11, 09:49 AM
I think you should at least do some cardio but make sure you eat enough (i.e. more than you would when not doing cardio),and like philia2 said have enough protein and healthy fats. You could just do it around 3 times a week or so, and do a form of cardio that you enjoy (ex: dance aerobics, running,sports or walking, etc.) Good luck!

-Julia
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/08/14, 01:32 PM
I think it's important not to lose sight of the other benefits of cardio. Getting your heart rate into your target zone for at least 20 minutes at least 3x per week (that's the health Canada standard) increases the capacity of your heart and lungs. It reduces your risk for all kinds of diseases, including osteoperosis if it's weight bearing exercise. It can relieve stress and be a fun activity. While aesthetics are a great motivator, it's your health in the long run that is really affected.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe