Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

cardio before lifting

lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/03/11, 07:56 PM
I just started track today and I am running the mile and 800. It was our first practice so we just ran 3 miles. I normally run that after lifting on the days that I am scheduled for cardio but since track is right after school i have to then lift right after cardio.

on weight that i normally would do 12, 12, 10 on I got 11,8,7. But yet here is the starange part. since I wasnt getting as many reps I pushed myself hard to get the last few reps and when I was done my muscles were way more fatiqued than normal. Why would that be that my arm muscles would be tired from running?? I thought I would be able to lift the same.

So did I get a better workout with less reps and more muscle fatique or do I get a better workout when I do cardio after lifting???
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/03/12, 01:17 AM
Cardio takes energy from your whole body not just your legs. You would get a better workout without doing cardio first, because your muscle aren't tired and you can push a lot harder. If at all possible, try and do your workout later in the evening or earlier in the morning. I do cardio in the morning or sometimes at lunch, and do my lifting in the evenings.

--------------
Lisa
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/12, 01:56 AM
Better quality weight training if NOT having done lots of cardio before from obvious reasons as Lisa says.

What you could do thou is to drink an energy drink just after the run. This might help.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
dmvwh8kq4j
dmvwh8kq4j
United States
2002/03/12, 11:39 PM
Just to comment on your question about why your arms would feel tired after running. If you are running at a good hard pace and I assume that you are, you're using your arms and upper body to pull and get force. Your leg turnover will only be as fast as your arm swing. If you are running "tight" that increases the fatigue. That's why it is important for runners to do strength training for upper body as well as legs. I learned that valuable lesson after my first marathon when the next day I could have sworn I had run the entire 26.2 miles on my arms instead of my legs.
Good luck.

Nancy
devildog90
devildog90
United States
2002/03/14, 02:13 PM
I ran track in high school also if I was you I would lift in the morning that way you are not tired and when it is time to run in the evening you will have all of your energy and you wont feel that you are wore out. This is what I did and it helped me out alot. Good luck