Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Can I achieve weight loss goals at 42?

frugal
frugal
United States
2004/05/25, 06:18 PM
I just need people that have achieved their weight loss goals that are over 40 to tell me I can do it, I guess. I not only battle getting older, but a metabolism controlled by thyroid medication after having it removed 10 years ago from cancer. I am watching my eating habits, weight training, doing cardio workouts 5 days a week, and kickboxing/punching bag workouts ----- please someone tell me I can lose this baggage, I promise I will believe you! Pictures of before and after's would be helpful, I really need the encouragement as hubbie says I'm beautiful every day, but I look in the mirror and want to claw my own eyes out...blaaa! The kids just think I'm suppose to be looking frumpy as I'm "old"....So, if someone can just share with me, I would be so very grateful, this has been the reason I have given up my routines before, just resigned to the fact that I was doomed to grow old and fat! Thank you for listening! Veda
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/05/25, 10:53 PM
Yes you can, and you can at over 50 also! A new and healthy lifestyle (eating and exercise) is the ticket. That is what it is all about, a lifestyle change, not just a diet that you do for a little while. This you MUST keep in mind.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/05/26, 01:57 AM
Yes you can, I battled Diabetes and High Blood pressure and 250 lbs of unhappiness, that was Dec of 1999 now in May of 2004 I am I have been med free for about 2 years or so. All of this due to a change in eating habits, going to the gym and a wonderful supportive husband. I will be 45 this year.

--------------
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/05/26, 01:58 AM
OMG I am going to be 45 this year UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

--------------
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/05/26, 08:45 AM
Absolutely!

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/26, 10:18 AM
I'm 46 and will be 47 this summer. I just lost 10 puonds and over an inch on my waist in the last 30 days. You can do it. And yes it is because your a yankee. So am I(born in Alaska) but my mom is from down south.:big_smile:

--------------
Woodie.
2004/05/26, 10:23 AM
Yes you can. The most important thing you can do is stick to it. The next most important thing is be patient. In the last year at FT I have taken my cholesterol from 226 to 183. My doctor says I'll come completely off blood pressure meds soon if I stick with it. I have gone from 2 a day meds to 1 a day. I have lost 6 inches off my waist. I am also one of the resident geezers here as well as a southerner. I'll talk to you !!!:big_smile:

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2004/05/26, 01:23 PM
Way to go Charlie and Woodie, See it can be done:)
frugal
frugal
United States
2004/05/27, 10:27 AM
Thank you all! WOW! Sandysford your profile is great encouragement as was your message! Thank you, thank you! You definately give inspiration to my woeing excuses of age, as did bb1fit, who looks incredible for ANY age! WOW again! Woodie, I am glad to hear your sucess! Charlie826 you have done what I am needing to be done - with prior cancer and high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks extremely prevalent in my family, it is NECESSARY that I change my "weighs" so I do not end up on medication or...Thank you for reminding me and expressing it can be done and thank you also, for talking with a Yankee, lol! Thanks, too, Caravan, you look wonderful! I am so impressed with you all and as I work out I will remember your words of encouragement and promise to not get discouraged so quickly. I HONESTLY felt that I was "doomed" to be a fat, grandma, but I want to be that mother and grandmother that my son and grandson can be proud of and I want to be here for them a long, long time and that is impossible just sitting on my rear, I really need the encouragement as you have all taken the time to do as I haven't made a friend here in three years and it is so much easier when someone is there to say "YOU CAN DO IT!" I have the motivation and have been working hard the last few weeks, I have the desire to see myself not just thinner but much healthier and I have the knowledge of years of nutritional and weight lifting/cardio experience and now I have you to tell me my age is NO excuse!! Truly, I would just sit down and open a bag of chips and figure, "what's the point, I'm old and just getting older, and older people just get fat so I will fit right in!" That is horrible, I know, that is just how I felt! I never had a problem with weight until my cancer but five pounds one way or the other, I weighed 129 when I gave birth to my third son when I was 29 and was always complimented on my flat stomach and great physique for "having three kids" - that was also the same year I got cancer and didn't gain for about another two years except in muscle as I was into heavy weight training I went to 150 but looked and felt wonderful, thin but muscular, I stopped weight training and stopped watching what I ate thinking I had no problem with my weight so I didn't have to be worried - ha! It has been a steady incline of chubbiness since! But I know that I have to push all of that aside, I have to start a new day and I have to realize I can do it (I never had much self-esteem before, imagine what I have now!) I will continue to come here and continue to work out and thank you all for taking the time to write!
msc6408
msc6408
United States
2004/11/24, 09:13 PM
Frugal:
I am living proof that you can achieve your weight loss goals at the age of 42. In 2002, I was turining 42. I was 5'6" and I weighed 244 pounds. I decided after hearing about Drew Carey's heart scare to do something about my weight. I started May 13, 2002 and ended on May 13, 2003 weighing 147 pounds, a 105 pound loss. At my trainer and doctor's separate insistence, I gained back 20 pounds and now weigh 165. Thankfully, the 20 pound gain is largely muscle. You absolutely can change your weight at any time! Best of luck in your endeavor.

============
Quoting from frugal:

I just need people that have achieved their weight loss goals that are over 40 to tell me I can do it, I guess. I not only battle getting older, but a metabolism controlled by thyroid medication after having it removed 10 years ago from cancer. I am watching my eating habits, weight training, doing cardio workouts 5 days a week, and kickboxing/punching bag workouts ----- please someone tell me I can lose this baggage, I promise I will believe you! Pictures of before and after's would be helpful, I really need the encouragement as hubbie says I'm beautiful every day, but I look in the mirror and want to claw my own eyes out...blaaa! The kids just think I'm suppose to be looking frumpy as I'm "old"....So, if someone can just share with me, I would be so very grateful, this has been the reason I have given up my routines before, just resigned to the fact that I was doomed to grow old and fat! Thank you for listening! Veda
=============