Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Calf Muscles

hannac
hannac
Australia
2002/01/16, 07:48 PM
Hi All

Just looking for a little bit of advice here. I have been wearing high-healed shoes for the past 7 years or so. Now, my calf muscles seems to be shortened (i.e. not stretched), knotted and quite painful. Though this is embarassing, my calves now look 'straight up and down' and are not shapely at all, and my ankes are quite thick, fluidy and swollen.

I am an absolute beginner to training, but am currently very enthusiastic about starting.

Does anyone have any hints on how to help out with these muscles at all?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/16, 11:01 PM
Hannac, welcome to ft! First, allow me to suggest you join a program here. Next, there are quite a few exercises that target the calf area. On the main menu, go to ft Exercise Resources. Then, choose Muscle Targeting, then Calves.

However, before you begin any exercise program, have you sought medical attention with respect to your swollen ankles? Medical attention may be needed here first.

Anyway, we're here to help. Good luck...
hannac
hannac
Australia
2002/01/17, 12:15 AM
Hi rpacheco

Thanks for your advice. Have selected a program, with calf muscles being a focus area. Also, have actually tried that link but the page seems to be unavailable (maybe just my PC - will try again tomorrow).

Have sought medical attention and it just seems to be fluid retention in my ankles - bit of a family trait - maybe I can break the link !

Thanks again for replying - wish me luck !
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/17, 03:16 AM
I have been wearing high heels for years (and still do) but I have never had any probs since I have always been careful about not forgetting to stretch out my calves.

This could be an option for you also. Start with small stretches (every single day) and then feel the muscle slowly get longer. Don't move your body when you stretch but let your calfs get stretched and relax with your breathing.

About water retention, do you drink enough water?

Welcome here hannac and good luck to you!
-Nina
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/17, 10:40 AM
Nina's right about the stretching as this tends to lengthen the muscle and should "flatten out" as it does.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress!

-- Robert
hannac
hannac
Australia
2002/01/17, 05:02 PM
Thanks very much Nina and Robert for your assistance.

I will keep you posted !

Chris
sanddevil
sanddevil
United States
2002/01/19, 12:43 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the web. Stretching is a priority first and foremost. I would try standing calf raises with just your body weight first and as time passes add weight. Single leg calf raises with dumbells will do fine. the height of the board should feel comfortable to you. Good luck to you and if you have any questions just post we are here for each other.
Dave