Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Bruised Rib - How to recover quickly?

batesy
batesy
Canada
2006/07/06, 07:19 PM
I think I bruised a rib a couple weeks ago playing soccer. It has been sore since, but yeseterday at the gym I tried to do a pull up and the pain just shot through my side. Alot of pain after my workout today, and I skipped a few exercises because of it.

Should I lay off the gym for a while? I don't want to lose any strength. I've got a game tomorrow night which probably won't help things either. WHat's the best way to recover from a bruised rib?
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/07/11, 09:43 PM
Bruised ribs can be very painful, especially when you are still active with them in that condition and not giving them the proper treatment.

Icing it for the first 24- 72 hours should be done with very limited stretching. After the 72 hours try progressing in your stretching within your pain tolerance. Can you tell me how you injured it? Is it is fact bruised or could you have popped a rib? What section is it bruised at, lower or upper? These will help determine other treatments for getting you up and running again. Keep in mind that ribs take a long time to heal due to the roles they play in everyday life and body functions, sitting up, turning, laying down, bending over, etc.

Also, if the pain is continuing or worsening or you are experiencing a lot of shortness in breaths, I would go see a chiropractor because the injury could be worse than what you really think it is.

--------------
Bettia.... You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

ravenbeauty@freetrainers.com