Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Bored with working out...

arsene
arsene
United States
2010/07/20, 04:43 PM
I've been going to the gym for two months now, and have lost about 20 lbs so far. Going pretty well, but I'm bored to death with the routine of going to the gym. I need inspirations. I need to get motivated. I need my workout
to be fun. I'd like input from you on how to make working out something to look forward to.

Here's my background. I'm 38, 5'10", 186 lbs. I played competitive soccer up to college, and used to be very fit. I'm a typical former-athlete who let everything go after my competitive days were over. For the past 15 years or so, my weight has been going up and down in cycle every few years between 165 and 220. I start working out when I hit around 210 and keep working out until I reach 170 or so. Then, I stop going to the gym, and back at around 200 in a couple of years.

The last weight climb began about two years ago when I got married. When my weight hit 210 a couple of months ago, I started watching what I eat and started going to the gym, again. I've repeated this several times over the years. Now I have a child, and I'm almost 40. I want to change things this time. I'd like this to be my last diet, and go into maintaining weight for the rest of my life.

The problem is, I hate working out. I never liked it in my life. Even in my competitive days, I hated running. I hated lifting weights. But I did it because there was a clear goal - to improve my fitness to be a better athlete. I still play soccer in adult leagues, but it's not like you are playing to win. Just to have fun.

I need to get motivated to go to the gym.

With family and work, my workout hours are limited to early in the morning, before work. I get up at 6:15 a.m., at the gym by 6:45 a.m. 45 minutes of weight training and 45 minutes of cardio, then off to work. 5 times a week. After I get home, I play with my daughter, help my wife with house stuff, off to be around 10 p.m. As I mentioned before, I play soccer once a week after work, but it's hard to add any more games with family obligations.

At the gym in the past two months, I've changed my weight lifting routines and changed cardio routines. I hate them, but I still do them, but almost mindlessly and mechanically. I don't get satisfaction from seeing that I'm losing 2 lbs every every week. I've done this so many times. Not a big deal. I know I will reach my target weight.

All of this is just so boring. It's the routine of going to the gym every morning at 6:45 a.m. and spending 1 1/2 hours working out. Like many non-fitness-enthusiasts, I hate working out because of the pain - lungs bursting, muscles burning. But my mind is used to it enough to enable my body to take the pain. Again, all of this is routine, and I'm so bored.

How do you all keep yourself motivated to go back to the gym everyday? Please don't suggest registering for a marathon or triathlon. I don't want to increase my pain level at the gym so that I can do even more painful stuff. Competition is a good goal and motivation, but the only competition that I'm interested in is soccer, and it's hard to find competitive soccer in my age group.

Sorry for this long post. I sound more like whining than asking a question. The bottom line is, I want to be able to look forward to going to the gym every morning.

Thank you.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/07/20, 11:43 PM
Stop what you are doing.. If you hate it, stop it. Find something enjoyable. Explore other workout options, crossfit, kettlebells, circuit training....

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q3a_cbHlI4

That may be an idea for you.... obviously the traditional weight lifting and cardio isn't doing it for you, so try to find something that is.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
ANBright
ANBright
United States
2010/08/16, 06:51 PM
I know how hard it is to stay motivated at exercise. I have always found it terribly boring as well, but some times there just aren't that many options to choose from, with time comittments the way they are.
To combat the boredom, I try to distract myself with books on MP3, and music. I put my earbuds in to listen to something interesting, while my body is on auto pilot. I also switch up my excersise routine with some dance routines, and dog walking.
femtex23
femtex23
United States
2011/01/05, 12:23 AM
There are all kinds of things to do! Have you thought about doing something cool like joining a rowing club? THAT is a full body workout for sure and will really tone your upper body, back and abs. I believe your legs get a nice workout as well, but more so on the shouders, back, chest and arms...plus, it helps give you amazing posture.

Something else that could work are boot camps. Search online for boot camps in your area. I know there are tons of them here in Dallas...big groups of people running around all over the place each morning, going through various obstacle courses, etc. A team type environment really helps sometimes b/c there are other people around to measure your fitness level and improvements against. Sometimes, having other people around to race against or even mildly compete against will do wonders for keeping you motivated. Good luck!