Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Bodybuilding Meal Sizes/Portions etc..

TRad
TRad
Canada
2004/01/03, 03:31 PM
Hi, I'm a 23 year old male, 5'10" 163 lbs (not sure of my bf % but it can't be too high).
I'm on a mission to gain muscle, lose bf % over the next 4 months. I will continue excersizing afterwards regardless of the results, but I want to be in noticably greater shape when all my old school buddies get together for a camping weekend.

anyways, I can really use some help with meal sizes, and how much of protein/carbs/fats to take at each meal. I do try to eat 5-6 times a day (or just about every 3 hours).

Here's an example of my daily mealplan. I will definitely appreciate any advice on how to make it better!!

7:00 - 5 eggs (4 white, 1 with yolk) scrambled. 2 slices of either multigrain, flax, or 100% wholewheat bread. glass of OJ, or skim milk.

10:00 - 1/2 can of tuna on whole wheat with either a bit of mayo or relish. A Red Delicious Apple.

1:00 - chicken breast with a baked potato (white) low-fat sour cream. glass of milk or water

4:00 - 1/2 can of tuna on whole wheat with either a bit of mayo or relish. another apple

7:00 - varies greatly. but usually chicken breast, or stirfry, maybe fish, with a salad, or side of veggies.

10:00 - N-large2 shake (600 cal. 52gP, 86gC, 6 or 8gF)
I will sometimes have another one as my 2nd meal instead of the tuna if I'm feeling lazy.

This is just a general idea. every day varies quite a bit, but I wrote this so I'd have something to work with and tweak out.

Oh yeah, I like to try to workout around 5 or 6, and will take a shake after the workout instead of the meal.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I've told a bunch of people that I'm going to get buffed up so I can't back down now!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/03, 03:37 PM
Well, the first thing you HAVE to know is your maintenance calories to design a gaining program, or for that matter a fat loss program. Just throwing a diet out there or using someone elses diet will not get it, even eating protein every 3 hours will not insure gains. You have to feed your body the correct amount of nutrients and calories to achieve your goals, or the protein will just be utilized mainly for glucose and will not go to muscle building.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....
TRad
TRad
Canada
2004/01/03, 03:53 PM
Ok then, how would I figure out my maintenance calories? Is there some formula or something to help?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/01/12, 04:12 PM
For men, you can try multiplying youir goal weight by 15. That is baseline calorie estimate, then add 500 calories a day for mass gain, or subtract 500 calories a day for loss.
Figure 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, decide what kind of ratio you want for carbs, the rest wil be good fats and naturally occuring fat in your protein.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
littledude
littledude
United States
2004/01/12, 10:16 PM
What about for women? Is this the same formula?
thanks
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/01/12, 10:24 PM
10-15 for women, 15-20 for men(only just a rule of thumb at best), but a place to start. The best way because we all are different is to write down everything you eat for 6-7 days, and average it out. If you have not gained a lb., nor lost a lb., this is pretty close to your maintenance calories, and now you have a place to start adjusting from.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....