Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

body weight is exploding

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/07/04, 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm more than half way through my first 8-week program and I can definitely see results! I'm amazed, actually, in what you can accomplish in such a short time. I have a question regarding weight - during these past 4 or so weeks, my weight has exploded! As my profile indicates, this is exactly what I wanted/needed, so I'm not complaining, I just want to make sure it's right (I need someone to just say, "yup, that's to be expected" :-)

I wish I got on my scale before I started weightlifting (so as to get my "original" weight as measured on my home scale), but I've always been between 130-135 pounds (depending on what I was wearing and if I came in from the rain soaking wet :-). I just got on the scale and I'm 150 pounds now. That may not sound like a big deal, but in my LIFETIME I've never been 150 pounds. Most was 140 or 145 at best. I gained about 5 pounds a week. I've definitely been eating better, taking whey protein daily and just yesterday started taking a weight gainer supplement (might not need it now, though!).

Does that seem right and is that healthy? Someone of my body type/build gaining that much in such a short time - I'm practically weighing more than I ever have and definitely gained more weight faster than I ever did.

One funny thing though - I don't LOOK much different - I mean, you hear about people LOSING 15 or 20 pounds and you definitely can notice it. I can't notice anything on me that would indicate I'm 15 or 20 pounds heavier. Maybe my scale is wrong, I dunno... I doubt it...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/05, 02:18 AM
Beginners always get very fast results. Something to do with the changings, your body already got the needed nutrition, metabolism wakening up etc etc. It's great.
One thing you have to know thou and that is that if you don't follow your body and give it the needed nutrition later on you'll stop getting all those fast results. That's called reaching a plateau.
To avoid that you just have to keep chocking your body with new exercises (or just change the weight, number of sets and reps) and calculate your needs for proteins, carbs etc

Congratulations, you've done great!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/05, 10:03 AM
Well congratulations man, I am happy for you, I myself have started working out not too long ago(4 weeks)and I gained 3 kilos allready, its not so much because I didn't eat properly the first 2 weeks but I can defenitely notice the changes. Now I have a question for Philia2, when you reach the form and mass you are happy with, meaning for example 2 years later, what if you then stop eating so heavily and just train to keep your form, will you then loose your muscles??? Do you need to keep eating 6-7 times a day???

Also mazzgolf what weight gaining supplement were you talking about????

Cheerio fella's and girlies,

Enki
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/05, 01:49 PM
You'll have to post your pics to let us see how well you're doing!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/06, 01:57 AM
It's a lifestyle Enki, not just something you achieve and then stop with. You'll be too happy with your body anyway lol!!!

Of course you can stop getting bigger by NOT eating more and keeping the same exercise routine. No you'll not loose muscle mass by doing this. About eating 6-7 times daily, well with a lot more constantly active muscle mass burning and hungering for more calories then I guess you'll keep eating 6-7 times daily without even thinking about it!!! (-;

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Enkidu
Enkidu
Belgium
2002/07/06, 08:52 AM
Hello Philia,

I am not saying I will stop once I am happy with my body, when I have a good defenition and mass then I just want to maintain the form and keep working without growing much more. Stopping entirely after gaining your goals is indeed the dummest thing you can do, I know that:)
mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/07/06, 09:08 PM
Enkidu,

The weight gaining supplement I was talking about is Champion Nutrition's Heavy Weight Gainer 900. But I've only started using it less than a week, so it wasn't the cause of my recent weight gain. However, I've been using a Whey Protein supplement all throughout my workout program.

I am now going to start also taking a Soy Protein supplement, but that's more as an experiment - I hear eating soy is an excellent way of reducing cholesterol. So, I'm going to kill two birds with one stone with Soy Protein - load up on protein for the muscle-building effect plus the soy to help reduce cholesterol. I'm still going to take whey immediately after my workouts, the soy is for later in the day.

Thanks for everyone's kind words of support! I've still got a ways to go, but these past few weeks have given me tons of confidence that this BB routine really works! :-)