Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Big Decision

jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2004/02/26, 06:26 PM
Okay so i went to the doctor about my shoulder problems and the results were shitty at best. i apparently have loose tendons and that on my right shoulder causing it to partially pop out at will and sometimes by itself. so i am left with a choice or either having surgery to fix the problem or to stop doing anything that would cause my to use that area or my shoulder; bench, push up, military press for some examples. so i've been put on the injured list for hockey so i'm stuck sitting till i fix the problem. so i'm stuck should i just say fuck it and try to play and work with it but might mess it up even more, do i give up lifting in those areas and pretty much give up playing sports and that for the rest of my life as the doctor put it (mind you i'm only 20 years old) or should i go with the surgurgy to try and fix it??? please i need some input i'm really at a loss now.

--------------
Jonathan
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
2004/02/27, 08:31 AM
Get surgery and get better vs. let it get worse vs. give up sports and training forever? It doesn't seem like much of a debate to me. If full recovery is possible after the surgery, I don't see why you wouldn't get it fixed. There may be alternatives to surgery that you should discuss with your doctor, but you should do what you can to stay healthy and active.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
2004/02/27, 10:21 AM
I had the surgery for rotator cuff repair. Very long recovery time. The decision was a no brainer. Doc said my shoulder would hurt worse and worse and eventually quit working in some motions. You will probably learn more about pain than you want to know but I am very glad I did it.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/27, 02:13 PM
:( shoot...i didn't want to hear yall give him those answers. I have the exact same as jonnnyko in my left shoulder. Like i can play with it, out in out in out in out in...then theres the occasional "oh f***" feeling as i feel it go out...

But, as ive been working stretches, lifting, and bands, my shoulder has gotten stronger slowly...but it still nowhere near where it needs to be. This is a huge problem because its been this way since 9th grade...i had to quit wrestling and ish in 10th.....sooooo much disappointment.

Welp its been a couple years, i think its time i go back in to the doctor when im back at home in may and see if he says i should get surgery....:(
2004/02/27, 03:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, lots of people's shoulders pop and they never have trouble with it. If there is pain see a Dr. A Dr can only tell if surgery is necessary with an MRI.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/27, 03:21 PM
Ok, so I would avoid surgery at your age.
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/28, 12:54 PM
OoOOooOO ok cool...yeah its not very painful right now....ive only had probs with it hurting in the gym once, and it was cause i did somethign i wasnt supposed to do...go figure:cool:
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2004/03/02, 05:28 PM
thanks for the input all i've decided to get a second opinion on the surgury but its looking like i'll go under when i get back from spring break. its called subluxation of the right shoulder, anyone else ever hear of it or know someone whos had it?

--------------
Jonathan
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
JMLcmt
JMLcmt
United States
2004/03/04, 12:49 PM
Its a term used by chiropractors.
It means the joint is out of place?
Usually refers to the spine?

--------------
We must take care of our bodies, its where we live.