Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Beyond frustrated

lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/09, 10:43 PM
Hi, I am beyond frustrated. I have upped my protein intake and lowered my carb intake due to all of the great posts I received. I can't seem to win. If I don't eat enough I plateau, if I eat enough I plateau. I work out so diligently and I have been doing so for over a year. I just want to give up.
jcannuck
jcannuck
Canada
2004/04/10, 08:28 AM
Hi Lucy, I read your daily "diet" on the other post. I'm not 100% convinced you are eating enough. Sometimes it's hard giving advice without really knowing a person, but what is your total caloric intake per day? Have you tracked it on the nutritional tracker? If you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and absolutely REFUSE to loose weight. Is this a possibility for you? I know it's hard to wrap your mind around that by eating more, you will loose, but give this tip some consideration. Track your calories for a few days and let me know.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/10, 06:58 PM
Lucy, i looked at your other post and made some suggestions.

You will get results when you fine tune it all.

If you want to, put in your workouts and eating for a week here and we can all help you fine tune it.

Check out the post in the nutrition section called Some diets for example - they are fitnes competitor's diets and may help you plan your meals a little more constructively.

If you keep doing the same thing and getting an undesired reult you need to change the equation a little.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/11, 10:41 AM
Asimmer is right....post your diet and we can critique it for you. As you lose/gain, your calorie intake will become your maintenance calories at some point. Thus, adjustments will keep having to be made to reach your desired goal.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/11, 10:49 PM
Breakfast: oatmeal with coffee
10am: 1 cup grapes
lunch: can of tuna with hot sauce with a rice cake
3pm: 1/2 cup cashews:
Dinner: 1 torilla wrap with taco meat and 2 slices of american cheese
I drink decaf tea and at a half gallon of water everyday.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/12, 10:07 AM
I hate to tell you but your diet sucks! :big_smile: I don't mean to be nasty or anything, but your metabolism has most likely slowed to a crawl and your body is eating msucle tissue, thus not burning fat. You need more protein, and fibrous veggies and some EFA's.

Structure your diet more like this if you care to...

1...protein/carbs(starchy like oatmeal)
2...protein/fibrous carb(like beans)
3...protein/veggies
4...protein/veggies/EFA's(like 1 tbsp. flax oil or you can have 1 oz. of walnuts)
5...protein/veggies/EFA's(1/2 tbsp. of flax oil or fish oil)

Fit this type diet into your calorie range.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/12, 05:35 PM
lucyladybug,

Maybe i can soften bbfits response a little...
At breakfast try stirring a scoopful of vanilla protein powder into your oatmeal after cooking it.

At 10 am have some cottage cheese with your grapes, or if you like beans, have a lo-carb tortilla with some beans, chicken, lo-fat cheese and salsa wrapped in it.

At lunch have your can of tuna on a bed of mixed greens, topped with Newman's Olive oil vinagrette and switch your rice cakes for wasa crisp (more hwole grain, and excellent spread with Laughing Cow light cheese)

At 3 pm have your cashews and some cubes of cheese and veggies with dip or dressing.

At Dinner ad some tomatoes, lettuce, salsa and onion to your tortilla wrap - or eat it as a salad on a bed of lettuce instead of in a tortilla. use a low-sodium taco seasoning and lean ground beef or turkey for the meat.

You can create a diet out of foods you like, it just needs some balance.:)

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/12, 08:19 PM
asimmer: from personal experience do you think that protein will make me bulky? I have a tendency to put on muscle very fast and I hate how my legs bulked up and I fear that with eating more protein.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/12, 10:53 PM
No. Protein will help you lean out. What do you consider bulky?

--------------
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/12, 11:32 PM
Protein has very thermic qualities, upon digestion it has to be brokend down into its amino acids. This in itself is a potent fat loss protocol. Plus the lean tissue you will retain as a result, will further boost your metabolism.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/13, 10:22 PM
I consider my legs bulky. They now have very wide muscles instead of long and lean muscles and I am a bit unhappy with them but I am not going to stop exercising. I am trying pilates and other supposedly slimming classes but I am still not seeing results.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/14, 09:21 AM
What kind of rep range are you using when you work your legs?

Another thing to consider is that fat is in and around muscles, so you may just need to lean out.

Also - do you want shapely legs or are you hoping for twiggy legs/ Some people think any muscle definition is bulky, I am just trying to get an idea of what your ideal look would be. Is there a person with the kind of body (realistically) that you would like?

You don't weigh that much for your frame,so I have a hard time envisioning your legs as bulky.

Stop doing isolative moves like leg curl and leg extensions, focus on lunges and squats and variations of those. Pilates will help stretch and stregthen. cardio will help bring down your fat, dialing in your diet will help also.

--------------
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/14, 09:25 PM
I mix up my rep with legs. For about 12 weeks I do 3 sets of 14 reps with light weight. Then I switch to a light weight 14 reps, heavier weight 12 reps, and heavier with 10.

I would really like to have Jennifer Aninston body. SHe totally slimmed down from a figure that didn't look like it could slim down anymore.

I used to be a ballerina and had long lean legs and now without dancing, I have gotten muscles that are more wide in my legs and I am not too keen on that look for me.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/15, 12:40 PM
Why don't you work your legs with a ballet routine? Ballet is extremely hard, focused strength. If you can't pull up a routine from memory, you could look for the ballet workout videos, I know there are at least 2 of them. I think they are the NYC ballet workout, but I may be wrong on the title.

Jennifer Aniston probably has her zone meals prepared everyday for her. Try getting into the habit of prepping meals once or twice a week with the correct ratios and calories and you can closely emulate how she eats. Do cardio, mix up your workouts like you have been (heavier days, lighter days). But on your heavy days really push it on upper body.
If your legs respond too well for your preference, don't work them as much for muscle gain. Work them for endurance.

--------------
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2004/04/15, 06:03 PM
Hang in there Lucy; "YOU CAN" reach your goals.
You just need to understand that it takes alot of inner strength, and its just gona be very tough untill you can figure out your own way to get there.

--------------
\"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now\"
\"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,\"
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/17, 10:27 AM
I am trying so hard to stay positive in hopes that I will find my own way there. It is beyond frustrating because I have been working at this for over a year or so.
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/04/17, 11:28 AM
Asimmer I found the NYC Ballet Workout #2 DVD that you recommended for Lucy at Best Buy. I did some research and the one that is most highly recommended is workout DVD #2. I'm very excited about this suggestion because the DVD specifically addresses posture and flexibility, two areas that I really need to work on. Now all I need is a DVD player! It's next on my list so hopefully can start this next week. It looks REALLY hard, but I'm psyched so it's all good. :love:

You really hit the nail on the head for me, or hit me on the head, because a dancers body is the look I'm after and I wasn't able to put a name to what I wanted until you suggested it.

Along this same line, I called around and found a reputable ballet school that offers this kind of exercise class for adults. It doesn't start until Sept and is only one hour a week, but I start lifting at school in August and I think this will be a good addition. It's very affordable too, even for a poor college student like me. :)

--------------
Anni

Never pet a burning dog.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2004/04/19, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the dvd advice. I am going to check that out until I find a ballet school that is reputable in my area.