Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Belly fat

muffintopBgone
muffintopBgone
United States
2009/08/03, 11:54 AM
How do i lose my belly fat quick?
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/04, 03:57 AM
Running and a calorie-controlled diet!
Or just running to be honest! I lost a lot of body fat when training for the marathon last year, particularly around the belly.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/08/08, 11:49 AM
Just remember that running does nothing to preserve your lean muscle mass. As you age you will lose it without strength training, which means either running more or eating less.
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/11, 04:14 AM
Plex, definitely agree with you. Running alone is not enough in the long run but it's a good way of losing some weight in the short-term and then you can concentrate on strength training.
Or, if you're really into it, you can do both at once as I'm currently doing: A 12-week weights routine from this website and a 20-week running regime from the book "Brain Training for Runners" which I recently finished reading.

Means I'm in the gym on the weights 3 mornings a week and running 4 times a week... bring on the body and - more importantly - the added fitness!
Docmckenzie
Docmckenzie
United States
2009/08/11, 06:49 AM
Alex I like your comment running will def. help. I am also doing the 12 week program and running your schedule almost sounds exactly like mine. I run 4 days a week and tone 3 days a week. Im increasing my protein intake as well not to bulk up, but to help loose fat.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/08/11, 05:39 PM
"just running" will not help. I think you can still be a fat jogger if you eat like crap. Eat well, maintain a healthy diet and the pounds/fat will drop.

Running is part of a complete healthy lifestyle, not the only part.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/12, 08:00 AM
Tim, definitely agree. I wasn't saying that "just running" from one MacDonalds to another would help! :big_smile:
I kind of take it for granted that eating healthily is part of the setup to be honest. I'm not personally on a calorie-controlled diet and I don't take any supplements, shakes etc (other than multi-vits and glucosamene sulphate) but I've never eaten unhealthily so I just try to eat well all the time.

Combining sensible food with sensible exercise levels will give you a sensible and reasonably toned body. If you're looking for eye-popping muscle definition then of course you need to think more about diet, supplements etc. But if you're aiming to simply look, feel and more importantly be healthy then this should be enough.

I'm currently reading a very good book on evolution and exercise and how so many health issues have grown since our ancestors times due to our sedentry lifestyle. You can be fairly sure that our ancestors were in as close to tip-top condition as possible in order to keep going as hunter-gatherers and they would simply have exercised a lot in getting their food while eating whatever they could get their hands on (limited meat with a lot of veg and fruit).
I figure if you try to mimick this as closely as possible in modern life you won't go far wrong.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/08/12, 02:27 PM
True... not a lot of obesity one hundred years ago.

I'm a trainer and one of the common misconceptions is diet. I am amazed (and I shouldn't be) at how many people think they can still eat crap (chips, beer, nothing but carbs, no veggies and fruit, fast food) exercise and be fine. It ain't gonna happen. You NEED a good diet.

I'm not saying avoid the above, just have it in moderation. If all you eat comes from a deep fryer and out of a greasy bag, exercise won't help as much as one thinks it might.

--------------

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
bradleyvoorhees
bradleyvoorhees
United States
2009/08/22, 08:17 PM
Hey, all that is fine and dandy, but no ones telling me how long to run, or how fast. Can someone help me?

============
Quoting from docmckenzie:

Alex I like your comment running will def. help. I am also doing the 12 week program and running your schedule almost sounds exactly like mine. I run 4 days a week and tone 3 days a week. Im increasing my protein intake as well not to bulk up, but to help loose fat.
=============

--------------
Bradley Voorhees
URLs:
youtube.com/bradleyvoorheesjams
myspace.com/bradley__voorhees
twitter.com/bradvoorhees
Email:
bradleyvoorhees
bradleyvoorhees
United States
2009/08/22, 08:19 PM

What you say here is not really true, because I used to have a high metabolism, and with high metabolism you can eat MC Donald's for breakfast, and burger-king for lunch, and taco-bell for supper every day for the rest of your life, providing the person with high metabolism doesn't do what I did, which is sit down and never again get up.
============
Quoting from TimDay:

"just running" will not help. I think you can still be a fat jogger if you eat like crap. Eat well, maintain a healthy diet and the pounds/fat will drop.

Running is part of a complete healthy lifestyle, not the only part.

=============
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/08/22, 09:54 PM
"with high metabolism you can eat MC Donald's for breakfast, and burger-king for lunch, and taco-bell for supper every day for the rest of your life, providing the person with high metabolism doesn't do what I did, which is sit down and never again get up. "
==========================================
Not a chance. If someone ate like you say, I don't think one would live to see 50. Fast or slow metabolism, their arteries and heart couldn't take the fat levels, nor the cholesterol. Nice way to stroke out!

Your running and how often depends on you, and your motivation, as well as goals.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/24, 05:29 AM
Bradley,

Ok, I'll tell you what I tend to do in terms of running now and what I was doing when I started:
When I started I would run about 3 miles on the road, 3 times a week. This was simply because when building up running fitness from scratch you'll find it ludicrously hard for the first few weeks!
I now normally do the following routine most weeks:

Monday - Arm and back weights before work.
Run of about 5 miles after work at comfortable pace.

Tuesday - Hill session in the morning before work. Tends to be about 3-5 miles with a number of "hill repeats" (sprint up a steep hill before coming back down and starting again) sprinkled into it. I have to do this on a treadmill as I don't live near any decent hills!

Wednesday - Chest and arm weights before work.

Thursday - Sprint/Fartlek session before work. Tends to be a 3-5 mile run at normal pace with a number of 30 second - 1 minute sprints sprinkled in.

Friday - Leg weights before work.

Saturday - Day off to let legs recover or a hockey match if it's in season.

Sunday - Long run at comfortable pace. Length depends on what race I'm training for at the time but at the moment is around 10-12 miles as am getting back to half-marathon fitness.

Does that help at all?

Al

============
Quoting from bradleyvoorhees:

Hey, all that is fine and dandy, but no ones telling me how long to run, or how fast. Can someone help me?

=============
bradleyvoorhees
bradleyvoorhees
United States
2009/08/24, 07:27 PM

Hey, I exaggerated with all the fast foods, but I'll tell you what: When I was 17, and freshly out on my own, I couldn't afford anything, and wasn't even old enough to get foodstamps. Instead I had to suffer. I ate things like peanut butter spoons, and ramen noodles - ya know, food pantry shit. Then when i was 19 I got a job at taco bell. Had a baby, got foodstamps, I ate my whole shift away, and came home to a freshly cooked meal every night. I didn't gain an ounce of fat between peanut butter spoons and sup, to greasy fatty tabo bell food. Not one but... BUT when I wasn't eatin' taco bell, just eating what a regular person eats, I sat down as I say, and that's when the fat got me. I'm tellin' ya, it's all in not what an individual eats, but how active one is.
============
Quoting from carivan:

"with high metabolism you can eat MC Donald's for breakfast, and burger-king for lunch, and taco-bell for supper every day for the rest of your life, providing the person with high metabolism doesn't do what I did, which is sit down and never again get up. "

=============

--------------
Bradley Voorhees
URLs:
twitter.com/bradvoorhees
Email:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/08/24, 07:39 PM
Sure, metabolism plays a part, but take a look around, tell me how many people are obese on this planet. Ya, some (most) don't exercise, but regardless of metabolism, all that crap food will catch up to you.

Key in on diet and you won't have to work as hard later on in life. Trust me.

Vary the intensity and length you do of running and you'll be more successful than if you did it the same way all the time.

--------------

bradleyvoorhees
bradleyvoorhees
United States
2009/08/24, 07:40 PM
Hey thanx! I'll give your schedule a try - Maybe it'll work for me, who knows right? Does it work for you? Would this be a good way to lose weight, or maintain the weight you're at? Which from you image, looks pretty good.

Now I'd much rather run at my treadmill which sits in front of the AC, cause I hate the heat & bugs! So how important do you feel sweating is to the body? Granted I will sweat, but it wont be nearly as drastic as it would be if I were running out doors. DO you believe that will affect the weight loss?

Another thing I wonder about; amongst friends that I have they seem to all share, what you sort of make out as a seemingly common mis-perception amongst people, and that's that you have to run rapidly until you're out of breath constantly. Do you feel that, that's true or that as long as you're jogging steadily you're okay?
============
Quoting from alex_morley:

Bradley,

Ok, I'll tell you what I tend to do in terms of running now and what I was doing when I started:
When I started I would run about 3 miles on the road, 3 times a week. This was simply because when building up running fitness from scratch you'll find it ludicrously hard for the first few weeks!
I now normally do the following routine most weeks:

Monday - Arm and back weights before work.
Run of about 5 miles after work at comfortable pace.

Tuesday - Hill session in the morning before work. Tends to be about 3-5 miles with a number of "hill repeats" (sprint up a steep hill before coming back down and starting again) sprinkled into it. I have to do this on a treadmill as I don't live near any decent hills!

Wednesday - Chest and arm weights before work.

Thursday - Sprint/Fartlek session before work. Tends to be a 3-5 mile run at normal pace with a number of 30 second - 1 minute sprints sprinkled in.

Friday - Leg weights before work.

Saturday - Day off to let legs recover or a hockey match if it's in season.

Sunday - Long run at comfortable pace. Length depends on what race I'm training for at the time but at the moment is around 10-12 miles as am getting back to half-marathon fitness.

Does that help at all?

Al

=============

--------------
Bradley Voorhees
URLs:
twitter.com/bradvoorhees
Email:
alex_morley
alex_morley
United Kingdom
2009/08/25, 03:51 AM
Yeah that schedule works for me but it's not always easy getting out of bed in the morning to head out on the running bits (somehow they're always less attractive than the weights sessions when you're in bed!)
That sort of level of running and weights along with a decent healthy diet will certainly help keep weight steady yes, mine's been at or around 78Kg pretty much constantly (I'm 6' tall so this is about right). It's rising very slightly now as I'm doing a bit more weight training but not much change really.

Don't worry about the sweating thing, all your sweating process is good for is cooling you down and regulating your core body temperature. By running in an environment which is actively cooling it anyway simply means that this won't be as necessary. Any short-term weight losses through sweating will be exactly that; "short term" as you'll put it back on as soon as you replace the water in your body anyway!

As for the intensity of running, the harder you work the more energy your muscles use, therefore the more they have to draw from within the body. So long as you stay in the "aerobic" rather than "anaerobic" range, you will burn more fat the harder you work.
However, getting your heart pumping and your muscles moving enough to burn decent amounts of fat doesn't mean you have to be dying within five minutes of leaving the house/getting on the treadmill. Just take it easy at first until you get a real understanding of the pace you run best at and can keep going for long periods of time.
It is always better in terms of fat burning to work moderately hard for a long period of time than to work very hard for a very short period of time as this doesn't give your muscles time to get the fat burning process really working.

Hope that helps and as the guys above have said, avoid the fatty foods where possible because even if you're working at the levels mentioned in my messages above, the fatty deposits can still build up in your arteries leading to a far greater likelihood of heart disease etc.

============
Quoting from bradleyvoorhees:

Hey thanx! I'll give your schedule a try - Maybe it'll work for me, who knows right? Does it work for you? Would this be a good way to lose weight, or maintain the weight you're at? Which from you image, looks pretty good.

Now I'd much rather run at my treadmill which sits in front of the AC, cause I hate the heat & bugs! So how important do you feel sweating is to the body? Granted I will sweat, but it wont be nearly as drastic as it would be if I were running out doors. DO you believe that will affect the weight loss?

Another thing I wonder about; amongst friends that I have they seem to all share, what you sort of make out as a seemingly common mis-perception amongst people, and that's that you have to run rapidly until you're out of breath constantly. Do you feel that, that's true or that as long as you're jogging steadily you're okay?

=============
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/09/09, 10:55 AM
From one trainer to another: Thank you very much. A lot of people get caught up in the exercise part of fitness and totally ignore the most important part: Diet.

============
Quoting from TimDay:

True... not a lot of obesity one hundred years ago.

I'm a trainer and one of the common misconceptions is diet. I am amazed (and I shouldn't be) at how many people think they can still eat crap (chips, beer, nothing but carbs, no veggies and fruit, fast food) exercise and be fine. It ain't gonna happen. You NEED a good diet.

I'm not saying avoid the above, just have it in moderation. If all you eat comes from a deep fryer and out of a greasy bag, exercise won't help as much as one thinks it might.

=============