Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Before small surgery, should I go hyper?

Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/11, 01:57 PM
Hey guys,
I read in M&F something about overtraining before a vacation and how it could benefit you (actually I haven't read the article yet, but just the intro.)
On 2-26, I have a minor surgery to get this cyst thing out of my hand. It's been there in my right palm for about 10 years, and now it's affecting my weightlifting (e.g. it hurts to hold too much weight) so I'm having it removed.
After the surgery, I want to take two weeks off (except cardio). Is there a recommended routine I can do for these next two weeks to hypertrain--I made that up ;)--so I can carry some extra strength into my time off?

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/11, 09:07 PM
I just read the article, and they call it "overreaching," and they admit it is a precursor to "overtraining," but that it is necessary if you want the proposed gains...
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/02/12, 01:32 AM
In your situation, I wouldn't advise it. Changing your training regimen (especially that rapidly) into something that is alot more stressful than what your body's use to, puts an incredible stress on your immunity system, as well as your body's ability to recuperate. Even if it's something minor, the procedure is invasive and will tax your body; so why add any more undue stress, and inhibit rocovery?

Good luck!

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/12, 06:47 PM
Ok so sticking to my regular plan is advised Rev? I have gone from a 2-day per week full body to a 4-day per week split, that is much longer (around 2 hours including cardio). I think that is kind of a medium between my old routine and "overreaching." Should that suffice?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/02/12, 07:30 PM
If this has been your regular regimen, then yes. My advice is against a new routine, and an intense one at that.
Hope you recover soon...

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/12, 10:02 PM
Gotcha. Ok, I'm gonna keep the 4 day split and just keep it hardcore like it has been for the past couple of weeks or so.

The surgery is minor, like I said, but I just don't want to blow out any stitches or open any cuts ya know? But I'm dead set against losing muscle mass after that surgery. I lost alot in December because of some things that came up (alot of strength, actually) and it's too hard to attain to watch desuetude steal my musculoskeletal booty :))

--------------
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/13, 09:29 AM
There are two schools of thought on this. Our one thrower Candice Scott had knee surgery to remove cartilage in september. We squatted hard and did cleans right on up to the day before. She got fixed and came back faster because she was in shape. As long as you're not making it worse than it already is then it is ok. If you're making it worse then stop. She came back after the surgery and has just set the College mark in the weight at 75'5".
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/02/13, 12:19 PM
Thanks Gator; that falls in with what I plan which is to continue this relatively new change of a 4-day split, long gym visit, heavy lifting and cardio. Then, when I take the two weeks off, I think it will be perfect timing for a break, a healing (in more than one way) and I will come back at least equal or stronger; not weaker.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I hope this post helps others who are forced to take a break when they weren't ready (vacation, injury, alien abduction, etc.)

--------------