Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

bbfit1...I heard you're the man!!!

Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/10/20, 10:34 PM
Hopefully the title got your attention...I was referred to you for advice from ASIMMER, she said you may be able to help me. I just completed my first natural show, 6th out of 10 guys. I had that same disapointment that you had from your 3rd place showing a while back. I worked my ass of but I didn't get the cuts I wanted, also I started only 12 weeks out. I've never been cut in my entire life, except for this last show, but these guys were freakin' ripped to the bone. My metabolism is pretty slow, and I'm not naturally lean. If you can, please throw me some tips that can help me get that extra shred. My next planned show is in April 2004 Musclemania. Thank you for your time.

--------------
RAGE!!!!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/21, 11:10 AM
Check your mail....

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/21, 07:07 PM
Your first competition you probably should always start out at 16 weeks dieting. Each time it gets a bit easier, you get a bit leaner, and depending on your bf, the length of time you have to diet.

At 16 weeks for instance, your goal should be to get very serious with your diet, maintain your bodyweight, and slowly lose the fat. Too much of a cut too soon is a recipe for immediate muscle loss. You May be even still adding some lean tissue at this point. Nutrient density is important here. Your workouts should start emphasizing your weak points, concentrating on quality of muscle.

Around 12 weeks, you will most probably begin to lose weight. You should look for 1-2 lbs. per week max. A good way to accomplish this is making a cut of 250-400 calories per day, watching the scale and the mirror. When the losses stop, chop off another 250 calories. Still at this point don't do much cardio, maybe 15 min. alternating between HIIT and standard twice per week. leave that for later to shock your body into more of a calorie deficit. (You can't keep dropping calories forever, so cardio will become an extension of your diet soon.) Make sure your supplements are up to par here to retain lean tissue. High protein, good fats are still needed, and amino acids with each meal will greatly help.

As far as your workouts here, again, quality of your muscle and your weak points should still be emphasized. I like doing heavy/light supersets for this. Leg work is critical, burns alot of calories. This is also where HIIT cardio can really help you to "dial" in your quads.

At 8 weeks, things should really start to be showing(results). It is time to get down to business now, and kick things into high gear. Another calorie adjustment is surely needed, with protein intake very high. Kick your cardio up to 4 times per week, to create more of a calorie deficit. I like to supplement pretty hard here, a product called Lean Out along with BCAA's work well, especially before cardio, and lean out with every other meal.

At 4 weeks, the diet is critical. This is where the fat really begins to fly off. Cutting carbs and doing an almost keto diet, but with "refeeds", carb meals with a frequency depending on your bodyfat levels. The lower you get, the more refeeds you will need. 2 per week is great, these will help replenish glycogen stores and help keep metabolism honest. Keep the cardio up, and you should see some great results.

Practice posing also at 6 weeks out, this will burn even more calories and help you get leaner also. Hold your poses for 15 sec. or so, and keep increasing this.

Hope this helps, there is much much more, but this is a beginning. And no cheating allowed. You will be setting yourself back a week or 2 at this point if you do that. When you have a time limit, you cannot do this.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/10/23, 01:22 AM
Thank you for your help. I understand that competition training is long and tedious, but you saved me some research and some time. I've got a while until I start training...time to put on some quality muscle. I agree that there is alot more involved and this is the trial and error. In a few months, when I start getting down to business, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain here and there. Any input is much appreciated. Again, thank you for your time.

--------------
RAGE!!!!
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/11/25, 12:05 AM
BB you are the man, So glad to see another happy guy on the right track.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!
Lifted 135lbs on July 1, 2003, I did it!! WOOOO WOOOOOO
THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!