Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

BB1 or anyone else

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/26, 12:09 AM
I cannot weight train in the morning. My body just doesn't function that way, and I perform my very best around 4 or 5pm. I had always been informed that cardio in the morning was the best way to go until I read the Cardio Questions post. So if I do weights pm, when would be the best time for cardio? After the workout?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

pimple
pimple
United States
2004/09/26, 01:40 AM
if you must do your cardio the same day as weights, try to keep them at least 6-8 hours apart... but if you just have to do them together, you'll probably have close to no energy after a while doing weights (provided that you do the cardio first)... and if you do weights first and then cardio right after the weights, make sure you have your PWO shake immediately after wards, since you'll be way too catabolic by then... hope that helps...

--------------
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/26, 12:26 PM
As far as i know, you do cardio on rest days only. but if your gaol is losing fat then i inderstadn why you asking cardio and lift at same day.

for your strenght, probably the reason why you not "Strong" at this hour of the moring it´s food. when you go at 4pm-5pm, you have a t least 4 meals on your stomach. that´s a lot of energy. contrary to the morning when you only have breakfast.
it´s a question of to accustom oneself at that hour.

i will rather go lift in morning and cardio afternoon but you will have to get used to it first.
why dont you try to go with 2 meals on stoimach? have the time?

if not, then go am cardio but not on a empty stomach.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/26, 04:43 PM
My goal is yes to lose fat, but I don't have that much to lose, and I'm on a powerlifting cycle that is very tough. Right now it's not really even a question of something I can even do right now. I have 4th period advanced pe for basketball and we run and play, I eat a protein/energy bar and go to the gym about 4 and workout. I am already getting cardio at a certain time of the day (and I cannot change it), I was just asking for future reference.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/26, 04:48 PM
Pimple pretty much hit things on the head. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing cardio in the morning. Just try to separate the 2 by 6-8 hrs. if possible. The bottom line, get your recovery drink in after your weight training.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/26, 09:03 PM
Ok, I've heard two different things:
1) Perform cardio in the am on an empty stomach because your blood sugar is low in the morning and your body will go straight to burning fat for energy as long as you have protein before bed
and
2) Don't do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning because your body will eat away at your lean muscle tissue for energy

Which is true???

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/26, 09:47 PM
both are true.

am cardio burns more fat that anything else: after 3 days of am cardio, you lose 3x more fat.

BUT, you also lose muscle tissue. so it is chance you dont want to take if you dont want to lose muscle.

i think am cardio it is prety good for women or for those who hit gym fot the first time and dont have much muslce too lose.

athletes should ask themself, should i lose fat fast (wich you can do it slowly) and losing muscle(pretty hard to get)?

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/26, 09:47 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/26, 10:02 PM
I see. Well I'm not gonna be eating away at the hard earned muscle anytime soon, so I guess I'm goin for the slow but steady cuts.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

pimple
pimple
United States
2004/09/27, 12:13 AM
o_O
cardio first thing in the morning (on empty stomach) won't really burn fat... sleeping at night will... cardio on an empty stomach is a bad idea any day of the week, under any circunstance... if your blood sugar is low (like when you wake up), your body will start breaking down the protein in your muscles for energy... it's easier that way than going to the fat storages... so make sure you get your breakfast in before you go chase the wind...

============
Quoting from kakaroto:

both are true.

am cardio burns more fat that anything else: after 3 days of am cardio, you lose 3x more fat.

BUT, you also lose muscle tissue. so it is chance you dont want to take if you dont want to lose muscle.

i think am cardio it is prety good for women or for those who hit gym fot the first time and dont have much muslce too lose.

athletes should ask themself, should i lose fat fast (wich you can do it slowly) and losing muscle(pretty hard to get)?

=============

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/09/27, 01:03 PM
I have neve runder stood that? Why won't it burn fat 1st, if on a empty stomache? I mean Atkins diet people loose a crap load of fat, with reltivly small muscle loss. Most body builders go "low carb" to get rid of excess fat before a show? So how would doing 20mins jog in the morning? make you loose muscle mass?

By the way baller, unless the fat is working against you in b ball, then don't worry about it.I have read of many athletes who have messed up their bodys, cause they wanted a 6pack to show, when the camera was on them, with out a shirt. Don't need a 6 pack to play any sport. Just strong and solid foundation. As a fellow athlete I wouldn't worry about it. Keep what you got and go for slow progressive gains.

--------------
if you want sympathy......from me...in a dictionary look between symphony and syphillis.......there you'll find it!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/27, 02:10 PM
How many Atkins folks do you see doing bodybuilding shows?? When we go low carb(we stil do carbs, just smart, and do some before cardio), and we have to take in a crapload of supplements to insure no or very little muscle loss. And never ever do cardio on an empty stomach unless having to make the date because you misstimed your diet. Then you will have to suffer some muscle loss to make the show, as the show will not wait till you are ready.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/27, 09:47 PM
the message is am cardio make you loose a lot of muscle. dont do it. cut carbs slowly
you will be ok
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/28, 12:26 AM
am cardio is not bad if you do it the right way. I do am cardio and have lost barely any muscle. I have 1 cup of oatmeal, 5 egg whites 1 scoop whey protein and my morning vitamin I wait about an hour maybe a little over an hour before doing my cardio. I have made excelent progress loosing exactly 1 pound a week, granted my diet is very clean and I do not cheat. me i like to get my exercise done early in the morning after breakfast if i don't work to early in the day. It just depends how you space your meals out. If you haven't eaten anything for 5 hours in the afternoon and go do cardio isn't that just like running on an empty stomach in the morning?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/09/28, 05:41 AM
I agree, it is not the time of the day that is important, it is whether you have any fuel in your tank - so if you eat before your morning cardio, and give yourself enough time to digest the food, then am cardio is fine.
I find my brain can handle the monotony of cardio better when I haven't fully woken up!

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/28, 03:20 PM
I also find it gives me an energy boost throuhout the day along with helping me wake up in the morning
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/28, 05:40 PM
well thats not am cardio...

the am cardio we are talking about is the one on empty stomach. this one makes you lose more fat faster than anything else.

if you eat before, then it is not "am cardio"

"am" not morning but "empty stomach"

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/09/28, 06:37 PM
am cardio refers to cardio in the morning and pm cardio is cardio in the afternoon. People are going to get confused by this. am does not stand for empty stomach cardio does it? And cardio on an empty stomach will make you loose more muscle than fat, yes it will make the scale go down fast but you will loose the wrong kind of weight and will hurt you in the long run in the battle against fat. Does jeff Gordon race with an empty tank of fuel? Would you lift on an empty stomach?....basically you should never due any kind of exercise on an empty stomach.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/09/28, 09:31 PM
Andrew, it's not so much of the six-pack that I want (though that would be nice) it's mostly for quickness and jumping. I've gained some excess fat around the stomach that I think if I lost, I would be gettin up more than ever. Because of my big gains this summer in strength, I'm jumping higher than ever, with about 10 pounds excess weight and about 25 total more pounds than I began with, so I think losing this fat will help me greatly.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/28, 09:34 PM
i know it is a bit confusing but thats what i have read.

not only here on FT but on some women´s health magazine:
there was a workout plan that recommend to make cardio and abs just after waking up then take a shower drees up and do what you do (so you wait like 1 hour) and then eat.

this let and hormone called glucagon to do his work longer
(hyperglycemic action: release all your energy storage: fat,
and the the hydrolizes of glycogene into glucose in your pancreas)

if you eat before this empty stomach cardio session, you will burn what you just ate. your body will use this first meal as energy.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/28, 09:56 PM
Glucagon is secreted by the pancreas, as is insulin. It is of course the antagonist to insulin, as insulin is to it. When insulin levels are high, glucagon levels are low and the opposite is true of course. Glucagon is the hormone responsible for release stored enery in our bodies(FAT!)In this you are correct. This is where it gets interesting. A moderate intake of fibrous carbs can increase insulin sensitivity in the muscle cells. Which is why foods such as oatmeal, and fibrous green vegetables are ideal. While no fuel will of course keep insulin supressed(being catabolic), you will in fact secrete glucagon and this will in fact burn fat. But, what they are leaving out, is being that catabolic, your body will use as much lean tissue for fuel because of the catabolic state. By taking in as mentioned above protein and a slow burning fuel source you will in no way impair glucagon output, while at the same time saving hard earned lean tissue. You are correct in letting this hormone do its job, this is why it is wise to wait about a half hour to an hour after an intense cardio session for your next meal if fat loss is your major goal. But, fueling yourself before your training will in no way impair the production of glucagon, and stave off utilization of lean tissue for the fuel needed.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/29, 11:02 PM
correct
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/09/30, 11:20 AM
Yep, you see by this how important insulin sensitivity is, not only for uptake of your pwo shake, but for burning fat also.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/09/30, 08:16 PM
protein (food and powder) is the best anabolic and fatburner ever created.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/10/15, 01:27 PM
WTF?!

--------------
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/10/15, 08:19 PM
what is the problem?
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/10/15, 09:02 PM
yeah what's up pimple?
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/10/15, 09:58 PM
heh... it's just that karoto's very insightful coment seems odd... he says that food is the best anabolic ever created o_O not picking on him or anything, but i've read that more than once, and either i'm reading it wrong, or that is an wtfish statement... maybe it's just because he's using the word anabolic as a noun, instead of an adjetive... bleh... just ignore me... heh...

--------------
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/10/16, 11:42 PM
Ok, so heres my guidelines for what I should eat:
Eat plenty fibrous carbs
Get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
Stay away from the sweet stuff (the obvious)
Stay away from trans fat (partially hydrogenated oils)
No white bread
Get plenty of Omega 3's (flaxseed and fish oil)
Eat six times a day, 3 hours apart each meal

Is this ideal?? Remember my goals are to lose some excess around the stomach and keep all my muscle I've gained. Remember that I am extremely active with bball conditioning. Any other advice is very welcomed!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/10/17, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. All successful diets to burn bodyfat I have ever seen are just what you propose. Good job. It is still not magic, but I guarantee you it will work. Great job aroundaballer.

--------------

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/10/17, 04:12 PM
ok thanks

--------------
--Vince Lombardi