Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

BB1, a question?

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/04/12, 08:22 PM
BB1, I am curious about something. I have been reading some posts on Tribulus supplementation, and you seem to really dislike it for the most part. I trust your word, but it seems that many others on this site say the exact opposite: that it's great. I was just curious to why you don't like it.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/04/13, 02:13 PM
Point me to one that says it is great. They probably got results from diet, etc., not from Trib. Everyone I have ever spoke with worth their "weight", myself included got nothing but maybe a bit more "wood" from it.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/04/13, 04:11 PM
If you do a fitbuddy search on Trib, you will find many saying they were satisfied with it. I've been reading up on it, and here's some shortened info of an article I read. Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who is developing a Tribulus product, so of course we must be critical, but still be open to it. He is a pretty respectable source:

A lot of the companies that sell the stuff aren't getting it from the right sources. They're going for the Chinese and Korean sources, who harvest the fruits for its diuretic properties and its positive effects on skin conditions. The Chinese tribulus is closely related to tribulus terrestris, but it's not exactly the same. The best kind of Tribulus Terrestris should be harvested from the right parts of the plants- those with the highest saponin concentration. There's also a type of chemical called a tribuloside that is specific only to Tribulus, and it is felt that this and one or two other things might be responsible for its effects on luteinizing hormone.

I dunno if this is completely reliable, but I've heard this in other places as well. I'm not challenging or even arguing with you because I've never even used the stuff. I've just heard good recommendations from others and my curiosity was struck since you've always been a good knowledgable and experienced source.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/04/13, 06:11 PM
I would recommend you give it a go. This will be the ultimate test. Monitor your diet so no changes are made so if you do gain, you know for a fact that it was the supplement. Placebo effects taken into account also. One workout is not a test. :big_smile:

--------------
Strength and Honor!
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/04/13, 10:10 PM
Truth. I don't think I will take it until I am trying to get shredded. Right now, I'm just adding some mass, but when I get shredded, I eat no carbs but fruits/veggies and workout 6 days a week. I think taking this stuff will help me not lose the mass I gain.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/04/13, 10:46 PM
From what I've read on it Aron this is a T supp. Why do you think you need this?

--------------
She sits and wonders why.....no more.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/04/13, 11:37 PM
It may have some benefit when dieting. Muscle mass is more hormonally contorlled when strict dieting than anything. Throwing extra protein at it is most folks solution, when in fact hormonal balance is what is really in control. Test levels can fall very dramatically with a high protein low fat high fiber diet. Then add in cascading hormones like high cortisol and catecholamines, and you have disaster for muscle mass.

Keeping fat high while dieting will help keep up test levels. I am a big fan of 50/20/30, p/c/f.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/04/14, 10:16 AM
Right, that's the only time I was gonna use it because of the fear of lost muscle mass. When I do this certain program, I get shredded and I get shredded fast, but it is very tough. Though I don't really think I would lose muscle because every workout involves lifting. There is no cardio whatsoever, it's just a high intensity weight training program for jumping and athleticism, and it's best accompanied by a strict diet and recovery method. It's just that, for about 12 weeks or so before that, I will have worked on mass and all out strength, and I didn't want to lose the muscle I'm hard-earning right now. Thanks BB1, I think I'm going to try it when I start.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/04/14, 11:03 AM
You must understand that it is the lowered calories/type of calories/it is as much hormonally controlled as nutrient controlled...that wreaks havoc with muscle(hormonal as I mentioned, system functioning less than optimal). It does not matter you are lifting heavy, anyone who knows about this stuff does just that.

First week or two, it is all systems go. This is because glycogen is loaded fully, system is still cranking along optimally. After this initial period, you will start to notice little things happening, such as the lift that you got stronger in the very last(your worst lift), will start to revert back. It will keep digressing, and go to other lifts the longer you keep the diet going.

Cheating is a big part of this. The leaner you get, actually the more you should "cheat". Keep your fats up as you lower carbs, this will help greatly with test levels.

--------------
Strength and Honor!