Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Battling Lactic Acid Build Up

2006/02/11, 08:55 AM
http://www.earthclinic.com/sports.html

is this an effective method?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/11, 12:37 PM
Haven't read the page yet, but I feel that lactic acid tolerance training in the form of complexes and other forms of metabolic training can be VERY effective at teaching the body to handle lactic acid. In fact, if I didn't hate it so much, I would probably be getting in some form of LATT now, but it's just too damn painful.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/11, 12:38 PM
I'm getting an error message. Check your link.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
2006/02/11, 02:34 PM
Here's the whole article...it's about things to supplement with ...there's some other stuff there too mixed in...

Sports Nutrition

Ted, of Bankok, Thailand, submitted the following information on Sports Nutrition.

"I finally have the time to answer your important query on Sports Nutrition. As I said before, I once consulted with a major college on sports nutrition, which was instrumental in winning the national competition. The athletic performance was enough to make a difference between winning and loosing on a regular basis. It was so important that the college wanted the information be kept confidential as to what I did there, but it is not confidential as to what kinds of nutritional was helpful in the area of sports nutrition, since the subject is based on research.

Firstly, Magnesium is perhaps the single most important mineral to sports nutrition that I can imagine - no sports nutritionist will dare tell you this but they all know it!

This is especially true if the magnesium is in the form of Magnesium Bicarbonate. Clearly over 90% of the U.S. population is magnesium deficient. This is true ESPECIALLY of athletes. During vigorous exercise, people loose through their sweat critical minerals, the most important being magnesium. There are two magnesium antagonists, which lessen our body's magnesium: potassium and calcium. A PROPER electrolyte water must not contain only potassium, chloride, but it MUST CONTAIN magnesium. However, even Gatorade does not have this. If you studied biochemistry, you would know that in the great majority of our body's biochemical processes, magnesium is the most important mineral of all.

Adequate magnesium level will help your body against fatigue, heat exhaustion, blood sugar control, and metabolism. An optimal level of magnesium if it is in the form of Magnesium Chloride is about 3 grams. Magnesium bicarbonate is not sold and you must make it yourself by bubbling CO2 in magnesium bicarbonate, which is not practical for you. Therefore, Magnesium Chloride is more practical. Mix Magnesium Chloride in water. However, start slow with 1-2 grams. Take plenty of water. A pinch of sea salt (1/8 teaspoon) per liter of water is also added. This is the secret why athletes die young -- magnesium levels in tissue analysis were found to be quite low. This is one reason why young athletes have heart attacks. A leading indicator of magnesium deficient heart problems is when you sleep, you have a bad nightmare, or you suddenly wake with what felt like an electrical shock. These are early signs of magnesium deficiency. Taking magnesium will get rid of this problem within 30 minutes! Athletic performance from this one mineral alone more than increased endurance in marathon runners.

The second important factor in sports nutrition that I found was that athletes have acid blood pH. This can be easily remedied through the use of a simple baking soda. The amount to take is estimated to optimally to be 3-5 grams. I am divulging all these secrets that sports nutrition experts are guarding with their lives! When blood pH remains in alkaline state, our body's ability to buffer lactic acid, which causes muscular pain after a vigorous exercise, will go away fairly quickly. What is most important about baking soda is its ability to buffer and get rid of carbon dioxide waste from the body quickly enough and at the same time, dissolved oxygen is increased several fold due to improved buffering capacity of the blood. We loose a lot of bicarbonates in the sweat, which is why we must replenish them. I must remind you again that many sports nutritionist keep this as a big secret but since I am no longer working in this field, I will tell you.

The third factor in sports nutrition are the other micro minerals, such as zinc, chromium and selenium. For some reason, these minerals are lost in the sweat and are difficult to replenish. When it is severe enough, athletes collapse for no apparent reason. To prevent this disaster, these supplements will eliminate most unexplained health problems amongst athletes.

Finally, I top the supplements with the recommendation for brewer's yeast, which for some reason has been shown to improve athletic performance. A well-balanced, liquid protein supplement and complete essential and non-essential amino acids are very helpful in recovery and athletic concentration, especially in areas that require some concentration such as karate, marksmanship, soccer, golf, diving, and tennis. While it is true that our body can produce all the non-essential amino acids, apparently the body does not provide the even 1/10 the optimal amino acids needed by the body due to imperfect metabolism and body's nutrient absorption.

The use of hydrogen peroxide mixed in drinking water (0.25% concentration), negative ions (in use during training) is one of the secrets in Russian Olympics training session also.

The taboo (the unmentionables) in sports nutrition is seaweed. Seaweed is a major iodine bioavailable source, such as kelp. Most of the U.S. athletes have a low grade iodine deficiency and it is more common than you think- over 80%. This is especially true when you go 25+ years of age. The reason being that the use of chlorinated water, and fluoridated toothpaste and pesticides competes with iodine and bring about iodine deficiency despite the fact that all of salt in U.S. is iodized. During my days as a sports nutritionist, all water had to be de chlorinated using a dechlorinator I bought from an aquarium shop. This helped to reduce weight (for some reason or just a coincidence) in many of the athletes. Apparently the less the chlorine, the better their metabolism! Since I got paid for athletic performance improvement, there was so much stress from the job (the pay was also low). So despite the outstanding performance from athletes I got, I had to quit. Of course, after I quit, the athletic performance immediately went from outstanding national steam to mediocre at best. Since this was this job was many years ago, I might have forgotten some other details but what I give you in this email are the major ones.

Please understand that sport nutrition is just one field. Another field that I did not mention is sports medicine. Recovery is a big problem in medicine and a devotion through the use of magnets and mega doses of vitamins is commonly used in sports medicine to help save recovery time. Aloe vera, allantoin, and DMSO are also used here. The use of DMSO to treat inflammation, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (really helps with exhaustion also) is especially important. Amino acid and protein are also extremely important needed for body to heal. Also, you should consider using North Pole Magnets for treatment. They are popularly used in sports medicine, but I do not know why they are not mentioned much. Consider treatment with a weak DMSO solution mixed with water for bruises and cuts. Before treatment wash clean and try a small sections and see what happens. I have this theory that body can recovery injury faster if you have humic acid, I noticed, based on my experience treating acne and wounds.

In response to the following question submitted by Bryce, "I am looking for information about bicarbonate loading as far as sports and athletic performance is concerned. I would appreciate any info you could help me find." Ted responds:

"Bryce:

Bicarbonate loading is an old topic. Bicarbonate prevents lactic acid buildup and is helpful in strenuous exercise, especially short distance running, for example. Alkalinity buffer of sodium bicarbonate prevents buildup of lactic acid. What is not mentioned is the necessity of balance of Sodium Bicarbonate and Magnesium Bicarbonate, extracellularly and intracellularly. Briefly you take about 2-3 teaspoon of baking soda about 90 minutes before a very heavy exercise. Since baking soda is somewhat alkali it will also help the body to increase oxygen uptake as well. Some studies show that short distance sprinting helps running faster also. However, it is not helpful for long distance since you need other nutrition instead. Of course the side effect can be constant burping and possibly diarrhea if taken too much. My experience has been if your body buffer is very lacking, the burping will be excessive indicating you have bicarbonate deficiency. Those whose bodies are not properly buffered will not experience any burping or very small amounts. Also, if your body is not used to taking large amounts, you will get loose stools. If you take them regularly or when you are sick, then the body will get used to it and no longer have loose stools. Soda loading also helps recovery from strenuous exercise faster. The reason why I mentioned magnesium bicarbonate is to help mitochondria function more efficiently as well and might help your body become more energetic. Of course, exercising that requires some from of oxygen deficit will be experience and therefore you may need other nutrients such as calcium pyruvate, malic acid (after you buffered them down with sodium bicarbonate). This will help the body undergo more strenuous exercise without greater dependence on oxygen. This also includes vitamin E, etc. Most energy drinks or electrolyte water contains Water, glucose, potassium and sodium in the right portions, what is lacking is magnesium which is very much needed by athletes. Therefore I strongly recommend you take the holistics approach. For all proper nutrition to enter Acetyl-Cysteine and alpha lipoic is needed so that the body can sustain energy without needing too much oxygen as well.

Also, sodium phosphate loading is sometimes used to increase the body's oxygen content as well. I have attached some literature on soda loading dosages in this email as well.

Here is a link which is more scientific:

http://www.humankinetics.com/sdsu/content/viewnotes.cfm?sid=30

Below is some literature on soda loading:

Patrick J. Bird, Ph.D.
Keeping Fit
Column 224

Q. I know of some runners who are taking baking soda to improve their performance, and I might try it myself. What does this stuff actually do, if anything?

A. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, an alkaline salt. In addition to making cakes rise, sodium bicarbonate is found in over-the-counter antacids, tooth paste, fire extinguisher, and many other products. Also, since the 1930's, it has been taken by some athletes to increase the speed and recovery in relatively short events, those lasting from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Here's why.

During short bouts of strenuous activity, our muscles work anaerobically (without oxygen inhaled) and produce large amounts of lactic acid. So much so, that the substances in the body that usually neutralize the it are overwhelmed. Consequently, the lactic acid accumulates in the muscle fibers. This alters the muscle chemistry and leads to fatigue.

One of the substances used to naturalize lactic acid is sodium bicarbonate, a small amount of which is obtained from food and is naturally found in the blood. The idea behind so called "soda loading" is to increase the body's sodium bicarbonate levels, which will help counteract the lactic acid build up during competition and improve performance. The usual procedure is to take 3 to 5 level teaspoons of baking soda, mixed with water, 30 to 60 minutes before the event.

Some studies suggest that this may work. In one study, that is most often cited, six runners ran a 800 meter race under normal conditions and again after drinking a sodium bicarbonate solution. In the race following the "soda loading," the runners averaged 2.9 seconds faster times. This is quite an improvement-- if only the slowest runner had taken the buffer boost, he would easily have won the race!

But other studies show no increase in performance. And there can be embarrassing or nasty side effects from taking large amounts of baking soda, like belching, abdominal discomfort, and sudden diarrhea. Also, we are talking here about sprint type activities. Lactic acid does not accumulate during endurance events. So "soda loading" won't help. During marathons, and the like, the main limiting factor is lack of fuel (glycogen) not lactic acid."
michelle9510
michelle9510
United States
2006/02/11, 08:31 PM
very interesting. Have you read anything on "soda loading" before weight lifting? I wonder if it would help with soreness when taken before a strenous lifting session?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/11, 09:43 PM
I'll see what I can turn up sometime tomorrow. I have heard of antacids prior, but I'll do a few archive searches sometime when I have the energy to read.
I could have told you everything he said about magnesium levels and forms. No big secrets there. Not real sure why he feels he has to make it seem like hes giving away the secret to optimum perforamce. Anything that big usually isn't kept secret for long. Much less the 1930's.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/02/12, 04:11 PM
I will whole heartedly agree with the magnesium issue. It is by far probably the most underrated by bb'ers/strength athletes of anything.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/12, 06:17 PM
Wow. I'm surprised how much I turned up. I'll read through, and post my thoughts and a summary of what I found.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/02/12, 06:47 PM
Almost all of the abstracts referenced studies based on repeat interval sprinting performance, either with running or swimming. Consistently, bicarbonate increased performance in subsequent intervals, but not primary intervals, in comparison to placebo (NaCl, table salt). The general hypothesis drawn is that bicarbonate increases repeat performance due to a reduction in Lactic Acid, resulting in shorter recovery time.
However, in longer events and non repeat events, finding were inconsistent and non-conclusive.

My personal opinion: It would NOT be of benefit for athletic weightlifting (Power, Speed, and Strength development) although it may show potential in activities where rest periods are reduced resulting in a build up in lactic acid.

I also would not recommend this in conjunction with LA tolerance training, or metabolic training, as one of the reasons this type of training is so effective is the hormonal response provoked by LA.

--------------
Iron and chalk.