Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Back to the Westside

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/12, 08:48 AM
After laying off the westside routine for a few months and experiencing little to no gains, I'm heading back for it. I still feel that I struggle to set up a solid routine so I'm asking for some input here.

To start, my weaknesses: Squat - Hamstrings and abs. Bench - I fail right off the chest but I'm going to focus on Tris anyway and hope they can help bring it up.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/12, 08:53 AM
My set up:

DE Lower -
Box Squats (Low box - 8-10")
Hyperextensions
Front Squats
Ab work - Landmines

ME Lower -
Back Squat
SLDL
Weighted sit-ups

DE Upper -
Speed Incline
CG Bench
DB Row
Dip/Pullup combo

ME Upper -
Flat Bench
Shoulder DB Press
Skull-Crushers
Wide Pullups
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/12, 08:53 AM
I struggle to improve my weaknesses, your thoughts on if this will improve them or what I should add/remove.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/12, 10:02 AM
Do you have a cambered bar. If you are having trouble off your chest one thing that I believe will help is 2 board press with a cambered bar. The camber should be about 6 inches, so with two board this gives you about 2 more inches in you range of motion. It is kind of like doing low box squats. You can also include some pause work. Pause for 2-3 seconds on your chest and then explode up. I also found that the pause really helped me learn leg drive. In addition, don't underestimate the board press. It might not have a direct affect on your low end power, but it will get you used to handling heavier weight and it will overload your tris.

I would rotate some pull-throughs in your lower accessory lifts. Don't forget about GMings. I don't like to use them as a ME movement because I am not comfortable with really heavy weight, but they are still a great hamstring and lower back movement.

I would kill the shoulder press. You shoulders are going to get a beating from benching. If you feel that you need shoulder work. do face pulls, and lat raises side and front. I think it is fine to do some overhead work occasionally, but not on a regular basis.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/09/12, 10:30 AM
i dont know if i agree about gettin rid of the overhead work. i think you should rotate as an ME exercise everyonce in a while. i noticed that my shoulders are weak and i contribute it to the fact i dont do much overhead work. i think building strong shoulders is beneficial to benching and even westside recommends some overhead pressing in their articles/videos.

normally i do incorporate face pulls and raises, but i feel sometimes some good ol' barbell overhead work does the trick... good luck either way
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/12, 11:00 AM
I didn't say to kill it all together. I just don't think it should be trained every week even if it is an accessory lift. Personally my shoulders can't take it, but if yours can, go for it.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/12, 11:45 AM
This is somthing wrestler told me, and i'm gonna tell you.

Look around for a "set" routine, or borrow somone else's workout from a log or somthing. Everyone tends to gravitate towards things they like to do or are good at. So they get into the same cycle with same excercises, reps, weight etc etc. Hince why you plateau.

Right now I'm eating like crazy, doing westside....with a lil russian twist on it. I'm squatting 2times a week, on top of my max effort work....same with bench. I've never done anything like this before...and it seems to have helped me alot. Conditioning wise especially. I'm also now in the gym 5 maybe 6 days a week...doing alot of GPP work.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/12, 01:06 PM
I second that. I have putting off front squats and neglected my ab work for too long and know I paying the price. I haven't really stalled per say, but my abs suck.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/09/12, 02:06 PM
I work in face pulls regularly, but I don't hardly ever do GMs. I don't feel like I do them right so I don't do them, I stick with SLDLs instead I assume they're pretty similar movements.

I'll give the cambered bar a go this round and see how that goes. What would you replace the overhead presses with then if you recommend pulling them out?
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/12, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I would do some DB work. This suggestion is based on the fact that you said you were weak off your chest. The DBs will give you a bigger range of motion.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/09/12, 10:32 PM
I like Db work with a hammer grip and not locking out....

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.