Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Back to basics

ecuecc
ecuecc
United Kingdom
2007/04/13, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I started training regularly a few months ago, and would greatly appreciate opinions on my 'back to basics' three-day split routine I've currently settled on.

I've tried to build it around the main compound exercises - am interested to hear views on order of exercises, choice of exercises etc. Am trying to keep each session down to under an hour. Thanks

I aim for 3 sets of 10 for all exercises.

Day 1: Back, biceps

Deadlifts
One-arm dumbbell rows
Barbell curls
Concentration curls

Day 2: Chest, triceps

Flat bench press
Incline bench press
Dips
Tricep kickbacks
Tricep extensions

Day 3: Shoulders, legs

Military Press
Upright rows
Leg extensions
Squats

It's pretty simple, but I'm looking to gain strength and a bit of mass. FYI - I'm 21, 5'5 and weigh about 9 and a half stone.

Am a bit concerned that biceps may not be getting as productive a workout at the moment, particularly after deadlifts. Would a change be in order here?

Many thanks
2007/04/13, 10:17 AM
If it were me I would switch it to a 3 day total body routine designed around the compound movements. For starters I would eliminate the Concentration Curls, Tricep Kickbacks and the Leg Extensions. Again this is my opinion. If you are interested in a 3 day total body routine send me a IM.

--------------
Those who want tolerance must be tolerant to intolerance.
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2007/04/13, 01:49 PM
I would just say to do squats first on day 3. Such a total body movement should be done at the beginning of the workout... imo
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/13, 02:16 PM
To me, a back to basics would be full body, compound movements with the odd isolation in for fun.

Deads, Squats, Bench and variations there of with some Lat Pulldowns, Chins or Bent Over Rows for back and some Overhead Presses for shoulders.

If you're sticking with what you have, I'd move the Squats to the top, too.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.