Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Avoiding dairy

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/03/31, 09:38 PM
Why do many people avoid dairy? What if it is fat free or low fat?:(
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/03/31, 11:53 PM
I don't really know...Amy has us using a diet that does not allow dairy. I think she said it can cause bloating, but I don't think it inhibits weight loss. As for me, I don't notice a difference since I've eliminated the dairy. If anything, I'm more bloated now. The other thing is that are carb allowance is low and most dairy products are a source of carbs as well as protein, so it makes it difficult to keep the carb count low. I will be adding yogurt and cottage cheese back into my diet as soon as the challenge is over. Non-fat yogurt with protein powder is one of my favorite snacks.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/01, 09:53 AM
If dairy does not 'bother' you/allergies, eat it. That is the biggest trouble with the internet. Someone will post a blog or something about a product type/line, etc. and it will catch on and start being repeated like if you tell someone something at work who can't keep his mouth shut. When dieting for a contest, this may be something to think about, any other time.....

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/01, 10:05 AM
I have to go a bit further with the dairy avoidance nonsense. Such as the carb issue, some say the fat free is higher in carbs or added sugars, simply reading the label will tell you....no different than full fat.

I wonder how many folks who think they are avoiding dairy and doing something 'good' yet eat those protein bars. Reading the ingredients in many of them, guess what?? Dairy is large source simply dried and pastureized.

I could go on.... :)

--------------

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/01, 10:44 AM
The only reason the challenge diet avoids it is the galactose - milk sugar - the challenge is low to no sugar. many physique competitors avoid dairy because of blaoting.
The challenge doesn't include protein bars, either.

If you have no problems with dairy, include low-fat to moderate fat sources, as they fit into your calroic needs.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/04/01, 01:00 PM
here's what i do as a rule for ya...as a regular guy trying to lose weight i try to avoid because i get enough carbs elsewhere in my diet, however that only applies to milk itself, I do eat fat free cottege cheese, non fat yogurt....so if you are wondering about dairy fat as posed in your second question then thats the way to go...read the labels like bb says, and if you venture into the yogurt section pay special attention to sugar carbs and fat alot promote low fat but its still pretty high and those with overprocessed fruits etc have alot of added sugar, I personally get the light and fit i think 60 cal dannon stuff because its good and 0 fat, also the generic store brand locally winndixie has good stuff about the same as the dannon but 80 cals
njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/01, 02:26 PM
Thank you for all that information! I posted this in another thread but, I have found a Yogurt that has only 100 calories for a whole cup, 0 fat, 20 protein:) 3sugars! 5 carbs total! Trader Joe's makes it & it is Greek Style they call it. I am also doing that new diet msmogreen mentioned. I did buy Friendship No salt added Cottage cheese. That only has a few carbs & 16g protein. Would this be OK to include, or should I eliminate that too?

I am also lactose intolerant! But, I use Lactaid. My family has a history of osteosporosis(is that how you spell it?)So, I feel that I need a little dairy. I only have yogurt, cottage cheese though.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/01, 02:50 PM
Milk sugars are another blown out of proportion item. Milk sugars are predominately Lactose and Sucrose. Lactose has a GI of approx. 43-48, while sucrose has a GI of approx. 50-60. Say the word sugar, and folks go running for cover. Tyes are more important.

If you are lactose intolerant, then this is one of the 'issues' I spoke of in my post. You can get a good dose of calcium from many foods besides milk.

3 oz. of sardines for instance will supply more calcium than an 8oz. glass of milk. Advertising leads one to believe that milk is the only source of calcium there is!

Then there is salmon, most any greens(turnip for example), etc.

--------------

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/04/01, 02:52 PM
Putting it in any sense of perspective, those who avoid dairy with having no 'problems' are simply using this as a method of calorie restriction, whether conciously or not.

--------------

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/04/02, 11:48 AM
I don't change much with my milk consumptions with a few exceptions. When I am on a gaining cycle, I'll use 2% and when I am on a fat loss cycle, I'll use the fat-free.
And I'll usually add a yogurt to my PWO just to raise my blood sugar and slow protein synthesis.