Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Atkins Diet

jimtors
jimtors
United States
2003/04/28, 11:57 PM
If anyone is trying the Atkins, or any other low carb diet, I found some snacks that have zero carbs: pork rinds, sugar free jello, and diet rite orange. I have tried this diet for 2 weeks and lost a few pounds. My friend used it for a while and lost 70. I almost quit until i found these since it is boring!
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2003/04/29, 03:09 AM
I've actually been doing a variation on the Atkins since last week and I'm planning on doing it for at least this week and maybe the next. I would actually class it as more of a detox though because the first phase is only supposed to last from a week to a month.
Maybe some of you guys have heard of it since it originated in Florida. Called the South Beach Diet and it's creator is a cardiologist there.
Basically you still eat plenty of veg and lean cuts of meat, chicken, turkey etc. Drink plenty of water. Cut down on dairy - i've been having low fat cheese and still having semi-skimmed with tea/coffee. You basically cut out a lot of the carbo from your diet - pasta/potatoes/rice/bread/pastries/oatmeal/cereals etc and all your crappy sugared stuff.
You have eggs (1 - if I'm having scrambled eggs I only put in one egg and a couple of egg whites) and a couple of rashers of bacon/turkey for breakfast. Then you can have whatever you want for lunch and dinner.
They say you should also avoid sweetcorn, sweet potatoes, beetroot and carrots. You can also snack on small portions of nuts and low fat cheese, celery and low fat cheese spreads etc.
This basically helps change the way your body reacts to carbos. Then you gradually re-introduce the carbos but still maintain the principles of the system by making sure you've got a healthy balance.
Was a wake up call for me cos my diet was crap!!! Too many carbos not enough proteins.
Last week I was amazed that I wasn't hungry. Guess that's what happens when you eat right, huh! Occassionally had the snacks and just drank plenty of water.
Already feel that I'm less bloated, feel better and I've been told that I look as if I've lost weight.
My mum did it for a week or two and she's down about 1/2 stone.
They say it'll be between 1/2 stone and 1 stone in the first phase.
The best thing about it is I'm trying new recipies, enjoying food, getting my fill and feeling great.
It's worked for me - I haven't done a search to see if anyone else has commented on it. If you want any info e-mail me and I'll pass on what I have.
Good luck!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2003/04/29, 03:27 PM
Atkins does cause weight loss, but your body needs carbs to fuel itself. I wouldn't recommend staying on it too long. Also, it will be easy for your body to gain back the fat once you start to eat normal again.

--------------
Lisa

Just laugh about it....
jhadams
jhadams
United States
2003/05/07, 01:18 PM
I lost 30 pounds on the Atkins from January to April. The best thing I have to say about it, is it makes you pay attention to what you eat. DONT do the induction phase longer than 2 weeks. DO add cardio and weight training. It was a great kick-start for me, and my diet now closely resembles that diet, but with more carbs (more active lifestyle)

Again, its a great kick-start but there is alot more to health than diet alone.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/05/08, 01:42 AM
Dr. Atkins WAS a Doctor from down south. Was... The man has been dead for a while!!! A registered dietician just informed me that he died suddenly related to heart or arteries, but they're not releasing details. She (and I) wonder why a man that's come up with such a great idea for a diet died of something like that...

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/05/08, 01:44 AM
No. He just died about a week or two ago due to complications from a head injury he sustained from slipping and falling on a icy sidewalk.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/05/08, 12:40 PM
Really? Whoops, I should call her up and tell her that. Poor guy.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/05/08, 06:41 PM
yep tell her, because he really did slip and fall, actually a couple of weeks earlier he was on larry king.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/05/08, 11:09 PM
I think I would love the atkins diet, but it's just too drastic. If I were on it I'd have a blast trying tons of different kinds of cheeses... I love cheese...mmm brie...
jimtors
jimtors
United States
2003/05/09, 12:03 AM
I plan on staying on it for this month, to shed some body fat. I am too addicted to cell tech and nitro-tech (not to mention cheesecake) to stay on it for too long.
jimtors
jimtors
United States
2003/05/31, 12:26 AM
After about 3 1/2 weeks I had to get off of it. I lost 25 pounds but I also lost 200 pounds on my leg press, my bench sucks, and my squat is horrible. I dont think this diet is very good for fitness purposes. I had no energy throughout it.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/05/31, 01:11 PM
yes, jimtors, that is a big problem with the atkins diet. You will lose weight, this is guaranteed, but it is in no way a bodybuilding diet. You need a much more balanced diet, complex carbs are an integral part of this. You have to be careful of long term thyroid problems and carbohydrate intolerance that may also result from this diet.

--------------
As far as genetics go, the skies the limit. You are limited only by your mental perception of it.

Ron
redcaddy
redcaddy
United States
2003/06/02, 11:15 PM
Atkins - It did not work for me!

I tried it and I lost only 5 pounds in 1 1/2 months. I weighed 255 at the time.

Now, I am Weightlifting, Walking 3x a week at 3 miles a time. I am concentrating on Nutrition with between 2000-2500 calories and close to 165g-200g protein/day with 45-75g of fat/day and the rest carbohydrates(complex is what I strive for; oatmeal and cream of wheat) can't eat potatoes anymore that much.

I have gone from a waist size 42 to a loose 38. I weigh 228. My goal is to lose more fat around the midsection and tit area and drop my weight down to 200-210 pounds.

I squat 3 sets of 10 reps for 285lbs, Bench is 3 sets of 10 at 215 lbs. Looking to improve these soon though.

I just took a 10 day layoff from overtraining to give my joints some time to rest. Back at it tomorrow.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/06/02, 11:18 PM
Wow, way to go, what a great inspiration story, you should be very proud of yourself.

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!

THE NATURAL WAY IS THE ONLY TRUE PATH TO SUCCESS, PRIDE, JOY, HAPPINESS, LONG TERM FULFILLMENT AND SELF-ESTEEM!
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/06/03, 07:37 AM
Yes, awesome work caddy, keep up the gret work. The Atkins diet will do what it did 30 years ago, gain popularity, then as people grow tired of it, they will move on to the next diet craze and Atkins will be old news, again. People simply need to know how to eat properly and it's not just cutting out a whole food group.
warlock
warlock
United States
2003/06/03, 03:11 PM
Atkins works with some big IF'S!
if you're looking for a diet not a life style change. if you plan on eating right once you lose the weight. a friend of mine and I started the diet at about the same time and for about 3 months I stayed with him but as time went on I felt like a train ran over me. I was in the gym with no energy it was taking atleast 5 days for my muscles to recover from a good work out and I wasn't making any Gains fast forward about 1 year(today)he is about 185lbs and still benching 225lbs and I'm 250 and have increased my bench from 225 to 315 as of this last week. I'm still working on my diet plan ALOT! I know that I hae not been eating completely healthy as I should have to lose more weight but my gut has gone down!. Like you Caddy I have gone from a 42 to about a 38.... big CONGRATS to you on that and I hope you reach your GOAL!