Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Anyone In, or Has Been in the Navy?

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/10/21, 06:10 PM
Just trying to get a feel from anyone that is currently, or was in the Navy. Tyler is enlisting today, as an Advanced Electronics/Computer Technician. I've heard rumours that since A School is so long for this rate, we may be able to live with him in Great Lakes while he is in school.

Also, any info on if they let you out of A school to attend the birth of your baby would be cool too. # 2 is due in March, and I would love for him to be there to welcome his little Sydney into the world.

AND-I've missed you guys!! :love:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/22, 08:50 AM
Hey cristalbelle - don't know much about the Navy but wanted to say Hi and good to see you and congrats on the approach of number 2 :big_smile:

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/10/22, 11:16 AM
Thanks Asimmer. Changes of jobs made it very difficult for me to get online, but I am going to be on unemployment starting next week, so I should be buzzing around more often.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/10/22, 04:06 PM
Good to see you. Not a sailor here neither.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/10/22, 05:24 PM
Ha ha ha. My preggo tummy thought that was funny. :laugh:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/10/22, 05:51 PM
Isn't charlie formerly navy?
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/10/22, 07:38 PM
Ewwww, I think he is, I think he is. Maybe I need to send good old Uncle Charlie a little note.

Good thinkin Tim!!:big_smile:
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2008/10/23, 11:15 AM
Send Uncle Charlie a note, he is a retired sailor.
Remember though, he is "Top Secret" as per the Canadian arm of FT. (Ivan & Tim)

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2008/10/24, 02:21 PM
Charlie was navy as am I but I don't know what the dependent policy is for students at Great Lakes now. I ran our air traffic control school at Pensacola and we required the students to live in the barracks. Getting out of school for personal things can usually be arranged. The biggest drawback is most students get set back if they miss very much.
2008/10/24, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I was in the navy and went to advanced electronics A and C school as a fire control tech at Great Lakes. I was married and lived off base. You gotta remember I was one of Zumwalt's sizzlers who were allowed to grow beards and smoke dope.:big_smile: What can I say? I think things have changed a lot since my hitch. They seem to be much more serious these days. Ask his recruiter. Those guys never lie.

I think Mike is probably right about arrangements being made. I always found the navy fairly accommodating. I also remember they will set you back if you miss too much. That wasn't a big deal except in boot camp. You really didn't want to be set back a week or two as a boot but in schools, it wouldn't matter much.

Haven't been around much. Like Ivan said, my intel work keeps me busy. At Foggy Bottom we're mourning the passage of dubya and working to see if we can get a third term deal worked out kinda like that NY mayor. It's our only hope. Otherwise I think "O" or "M" will cut our budget and then I'll have to find a real job. That would be said because Charlie and intelligence kind of go together eh?

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/12/08, 04:41 PM
Charlie. I am amazed. I never thought that you and Ty had so much in common. He doesn't know if he will be ET or FC yet, but it will be one of the 2.

His recruiter has actually been quite helpful, but doesn't even pretend to know that kind of stuff, so I don't ask.

Ty is doing great at boot. He is recruit Master at Arms for his division. He should have been in A school for a month and a half before Sydney is due, so it sounds promising that he would be able to come home for a few days when she is born, which would be excellent!
mserogers
mserogers
United States
2008/12/17, 12:02 AM
Hi, I'm a former Navy Corpsman and had my C School at great lakes. It was relaxed but we all lived in the barracks. Our evenings were our own. More like government private school. Granted this was back in 1991 and things might be a little more strict but I also always found that the Navy was a bit more flexible when it came to personnel issues. My A school was in Pensacola and it was even more relaxed. Felt more like a summer college course than job training. I don't recommend the winter in Great lakes if you can avoid it or the late summer and fall in Florida for that matter! Best of luck with your new little one and may your husband always come home safe.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2008/12/25, 04:08 PM
I appreciate it. Tyler called today(we got to talk for an hour!!)and said his A-school will be 32 weeks(ie. 8 months) We haven't decided yet if we will go to be with him after Sydney is born, or if we will just have him take flights home on all his long weekends. His PIR is the 15th of next month, but after the arctic storm we just had(no power for 4 days, with highs of 20-25!) I feel a little more prepared for winter in IL, even if it is only for a few days!