Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Any opinions on routine

Steveski
Steveski
United States
2008/04/15, 11:58 PM
I recently switched up my routine from individual muscle groups to an upper/lower split, currently lifting four days per week. I was doing same muscle supersets---two exercises for chest/shoulders/back, etc but have started doing somewhat of a circuit looking something like this:

Lateral raises
EZ Curls
Tricep pushdowns
Seated rows
Machine press
Lat Pull downs...I usually perform two exercises for back, shoulders, and chest. I switch up the order and use various exercises with each workout. I thought I'd try this as it really has cut down my need for rest b/t sets as I'm moving on to new muscles with each set. That being said, am I spinning my wheels with this because I'm not hitting the muscle group with successive sets? I feel good throughout the three "circuits" I perform following this program, I'm not sure if it's because of the rest the muscles get until the next set, or the fact that I've increased my protein and calorie intake. Any thoughts? Thanks...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/17, 08:15 AM
I see 3 isolation exercises and 3 machine exercises. I'd rather see 6 compound movements all done with freeweights.

One of the purposes of circuit training is to increase heart rate and lactic acid production by using exercises that use a lot of energy. I'm not sure how taxing doing lateral raises followed by curls is going to be, but I'd be willing to bet it's not the toughest thing in the world.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Steveski
Steveski
United States
2008/04/22, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the input and I've already taken it to heart. I only work out at home and am short on space, hence the machine...But this morning I picked up four 25s to add to my growing plate collection. Though the circuit has saved me some time (and has kept my HR up) during my workouts, I will revert back to supersets. I have listened to both you and asimmer in the past and now devote half of my weekly workouts to legs and lower back...because of some minimal degenerative disk disease, I was informed by my chiropractor to go easy with the weight but I now perform squats, deadlifts, and split squats twice a week. I will also listen to your advice and plan on adding more compound movements...thinking about the clean/press as my shoulders are lacking. Thanks again wrestler...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/04/23, 12:07 PM
I'd recommend investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells (you can normally get them for $5 at walmart) and then finding plates and stuff at yard sales.

With a $100 barbell set and a couple adjustable dumbbells, you'd have quite a lot of versatility. Add in an adjustable bench and maybe eventually a squat rack or stand, and you have everything you could possibly need, and it won't take up much space. When I'm visiting with my family I work out in a 10x12 room and don't feel limited at all.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk