Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

another protein question

Ashunboy
Ashunboy
United States
2008/10/28, 03:30 AM
hey, i've honestly used the search tool before i posted =D

anyways here is my question:

I've decided to recently get back into shape and have been going back to the gym. My goal is to lose body fat and gain mass. When I hit the gym, i feel obligated to run and then lift weights. I would have to say that LOSING BODY FAT and GAINING MUSCLE MASS is equally important to me. With this in mind, I feel like I should take some protein supplements as I do not intake anywhere near the required grams per day. The question is, I guess, if I want to lose weight, would taking whey protein deter my goals? I have heard protein to be a weight gainer so I am wondering if the part of me that wants to gain mass should take protein affect the part of me that wants to lose weight.

thanks
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/28, 07:59 AM
Whey will not keep you from losing weight. eating too many calories will. Whey supplementation is a good way to get lean protein without added fat or carbs when you are dieting.

You are also working towards sort of opposite goals. pick one or the other , mass gain or fat loss, and you will probably be more successful. You might lean out a little as you add mass, but it is unlikely you will add mass as you diet down. Prioritize one or the other and when you achieve the desired results, switch goals.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/10/28, 08:29 AM
If nothing else lift first and then run. Think about it, you're using a lot of energy to run and then are tired for lifting. If you switch it up it will be easier to run after lifting I've found than lift after running.
Ashunboy
Ashunboy
United States
2008/10/28, 12:21 PM
thanks very helpful:)