Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

ankle sprain

slowmofo
slowmofo
United States
2008/10/02, 06:09 PM
In April I started working out. I worked out for 2 months solid. Then on my last day for the week I decided to play some basketball at the gym. Well I landed on some kids foot and sprained my ankle really bad( went to emergency room). Couldnt walk on it for 3 weeks. Now its October and I still cannot run or jump. The elliptical is the only thing I can use. Any have a sprain like this?
jnyjnjn1210
jnyjnjn1210
United States
2009/01/13, 01:35 PM
i DID have a bad sprain in july...fell down the front stairs when the ankle gave out ... i'm just joining a new gym today.. anyone have tips?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2009/01/13, 02:18 PM
bike ride, then when done ride a bike some more. I was in a cast for 4 months years ago, I had weeks of PT and still had to wear a brace to walk on flat surfaces.....got witha friend who rode a 10 speed bike all over(small town i once jogged around most of it) I got a bike and within a couple of weeks got rid of the brace...

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Icedearth168
Icedearth168
Canada
2009/03/02, 12:44 AM
Take it from a guy who has had so many ankle injuries from football i feel ive become a bit of an expert.

First of all it sounds to me like if you are still having issues with it you probably had a high ankle sprain. I growing up had many sprains and tweaks on my ankle but all would be 90-100% better in only 1 week at most. Later on I suffered my first "high ankle sprain," the major difference for me was it just didnt seem to want to get better. Weeks went by and I still was unable to jog, in total it took me 5 weeks to resume playing football and close to 3 months to heal up to close enough to 100%.

6 Months later I high ankle sprained the same ankle, this time it took me 7 months before I played a game completely pain free. Currently its one year later and im still not quite 100%

The key with ankles if you had a negative X-RAY is getting active on them the sooner the better. I certainly wouldnt recommend running a marathon the day after a severe injury, but I do urge you to fight through the pain as soon as it becomes bearable. Your ankle will feel like crap trust me but it needs to be mobilized to help regain the strength and range its lost while being inactive and you'll be amazed how it will actually feel better the next day after youve pushed it a bit.