Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

An Update.

Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/05/21, 08:24 PM
It has been awhile since I have posted on this board, so I thought I would post my newest good news. I have found a group of Powerlifters in my area that train in the Westside Barbell methods, and hence have fallen in love with powerlifting. Strength is already improving. Really love the bands and the chains, and training with people that know what they are doing is soo helpful.
To all those that have considered this method I would highly recommend it.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/05/22, 12:37 PM
EXCELLENT for you! those are some fantastic methods, and i had incorporated a number into my training when i was still lifting.

best of luck to ya, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/05/24, 02:34 PM
I'm using the Westside methods, too, and loving it. VERY intense stuff, very intense gains. I wouldn't recommend it to beginners, but for those who have reached the dreaded plateau, this is for you!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/06/02, 05:03 PM
Speed bench day today: (ME bench Wed), Did the bar with mini bands double wrapped. Didn't get two bands. Maybe next week or the week after. Last Wednesday did 221 with a 4 board press, no bands. Did 167 with close grip two board. My triceps give out easy on the close grips though, a weakness I need to work on. Think my goal will be 300 flat bench no bands by the end of Oct 1st.
Love deadlifting, so far my max is 343 Reverse band (light), and use 135 for speed deadlift. My squat is sad. Been doing Box squats, havn't maxxed, but my work set for speed day is only like 111. (weight including band tension) Basically bar and two 22's. My walkout was like 354 for 15 seconds.
Will keep those interested posted on my progress.

Oh, lost 5 lbs this week somehow, even though I am sucking in a record 3500 calories. Don't know what is up with that.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/03, 01:07 AM
sounds like your making good progress!
work on that squat: we all know its THE b*tch of all excercises, but once you get it going, you will not believe how much your other lifts will benefit from it.
and check your diet. make sure you're eating enough (maybe you're not?). you wouldnt want all of that hard work in the training to suffer just because of a lack of calories.
keep us posted.

--------------
Michael
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/06/05, 09:42 PM
I agree Rev, Squat is a b*tch of an exercise. I started out hating it, but I think It is a Love/hate relationship now. I hate doing it, but love the feeling I get after I do them. (talk about a rush)
I am definately going to check my calories. Gotta break my PR's. :)

Did 3 board presses today, only got 199. Bad day I guess. (should have gotten close to my 4 board press I would think)
Did floor presses also, and I must say I did not like them. We didn't go to max, but we did do a Hard 3 rep. I did one plate and it was hard. (feels odd when your not on a bench and your elbows are restricted in movement like that. Aux work was standard. Elbows out Tricep exercises, Lat pull downs, Seated powercleans (hate). No bands or Chains today, almost missed them. LOL
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/06/06, 06:43 PM
I used to dread my leg days. But now, since I started seeing such awesome improvement in strength (using Westside methods), I actually like training my legs. I had to go out and buy 70lbs more weight to do my last couple sets of heavy squats. I've been doing 255lbs on my speed squat days(box squats w/ 15-inch box - way below parallel for me), but that weight should be increasing very soon. Just stick with it and you'll be very satisfied with the results!!

--------------
--JBennett
myth_master
myth_master
Canada
2002/06/10, 06:37 PM
i have to disagree on the squat thing, i love em' but dislike benches (prob cuz i'm not doing as much as i'd like) but i think like the squat more then the bench. Also i was wondering what are westside methods?
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/06/12, 10:03 PM
Myth: check out this site on Westside: http://www.elitefts.com/ Lots of good articles and info.

My update this time is a bit sad. I can no longer continue to train with the group I was. Some conflicts arose with my work, and time constraints. (taking 3-4 hours a day, 4 times a week to train, and they really wanted me to train 6 days a week with em)
So going solo for a bit. Still have my old gym membership, and raring to go. Still going to do PL stuff rather than BB, though I think I am going to work on some light BB stuff. (Chest for example) Thought of doing some Old school stuff, but not sure I am advanced enough yet. (still only about 3 1/2 months into weightlifting)
Here is my preliminary sketch of the first 6 or so weeks.
Monday:
Squats- (6x3 even weeks, 5x5 odd weeks)
Zercher squats- (4x10)
Romanian Dlifts- (4x10)
Calf Raises- (4x10)
Hip squats-on even weeks (3x6)

Wed:
Bench (5x5) Might try alternating decline bench for better traps targeting)
OH presses: (4x8)
Close grip pull downs: (4x10)
Elbows out tricep extentions: (4x15)
DB flys: (3x8) my little bit of BB work, lol.
Weighted crunches: (4x15)

Friday:
Deadlifts: (8x1)
Arch back GM's: (3x8)
Zercher Squats: (4x8)
Bent over Rows: (4x8)
Barbell shrugs: (4x10)
-Maybe some Bi work today or WED.

Feel free to point out any flaws in the plan. :)
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/12, 10:33 PM
Wow! I need a nap after reading that. I hope you live to have children! I will be watching to see how it goes. Are there descriptions on all of these lifts on Westside's site? Man, whew!

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/06/12, 10:57 PM
LOl, didn't intend it to be so long. Some of the lifts might be somewhere on there. Most I picked up from lifting with the group I was training with. They prescribe pretty heavily to WSB methods so I would imagine that is where they picked them up from. If you have a question on what an exercise is or what they target, feel free to ask. :) I will try to describe it as well as I can.

============
Quoting from ischjli:

Wow! I need a nap after reading that. I hope you live to have children! I will be watching to see how it goes. Are there descriptions on all of these lifts on Westside's site? Man, whew!

=============
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/06/13, 03:29 AM
very nice schedule. also, in my off-season, i would add in some other compounds, like power cleans and clean & jerks. and ws one of the best ways to go. in fact, i just heard that simmons is to do a lecture series out here this month at one of the resorts, but its on a week that i'll be outta town, dammit!

plus, great pic! we should make bald heads and goutees a requirement to post on this thread.........LOLOL!

--------------
Michael
"Overkill is barely adequate..."
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/06/13, 04:16 PM
I'm following the sample routine on this site:

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm
Some of the excercises have explainations as to how to do them. Intense isn't even the word for this routine. I said this in a previous post already, but my neighbor is literally AFRAID to workout with me when I'm doing this. Gotta love that!

--------------
--JBennett
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/06/13, 04:48 PM
Cool, I will check that out jbennett. I find mixing things up really helps. I enjoy the pl lifts so much but I have to recover from them much longer. It is cool though being at a BB gym and being the only one doing any pl lifts. People ask me questions, stare at me. And I am pretty small. It's nice on the ego.

--------------
Ischjli
"Seven days without exercise makes one weak."
Epimetheus
Epimetheus
United States
2002/06/13, 09:39 PM

============
Quoting from rev8ball:

i just heard that simmons is to do a lecture series out here this month at one of the resorts, but its on a week that i'll be outta town, dammit!

plus, great pic! we should make bald heads and goutees a requirement to post on this thread.........LOLOL!

=============

Sorry to hear that you will be out of town then. I would love to go to one of his seminars. Watched one on tape, was full of all kinds of good information.
LOL about the Bald heads and goatee.

ischjli: Know what you mean about the ego thing. LOL, I'm not a large guy myself, but when I deadlifted at the gym I got some strange looks. Not sure what they are going to think of my Hip squats. LOL.