Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

ALL I WANT TO DO IS IMPROVE

bballchik0321
bballchik0321
United States
2004/04/29, 06:23 PM
it's off season for basketball... and im a girl who needs to do everything better... i want to get faster.... i want more endourance and more strength... and i don't really care how i have to do it... but since im only 15 im confused on what i should be doing... im not asking what kind of Basketball drills i should be doing... but im asking what i can do to get faster... and just all around improve my stamina... should i run in the mornings? how long? what time should i eat and what should i eat... could i run two times a day? should i do sprints after or before? how could i get faster? if you could reply fast that'd be awesome!!!! HELP!
-mar
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/29, 09:21 PM
Gatormade knows a lot more about this than I do, but just doing leg workouts (leg extensions,leg curls, SQUATS, leg press) and sprints should help your speed. Hip flexors are very important for speed and working your abs will help your agility. I am training for basketball too, but I'm training for strength and size mostly (though I am taking a speed and agility session this summer) so I can't give you an "expert" opinion on this. Just my 2 cents

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/29, 10:19 PM
look for Bill Pearl's book Getting Stronger - it has on and off-season programs for every sport.
Also, check fitbuddy, this question may have been asked before under the heading of basketball program, or something similar

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/30, 04:10 PM
Stay away from leg extensions. Female athletes are quad dominant and over developing your quads WILL increase your risk of an ACL tear. A female athlete's hamstrings fire 3 tenths of a second slower than a male athletes and if your land funny and your quad fires before your hamstring there is a good chance of tearing your acl. So, what should you do?
Here is what I think you should do:
Squats
3 sets of 5

Box Jumps

RDLS
3 sets of 10

Leg curls
3 sets of 10

Back hypers
3 sets of 10

Sit-ups
30 x 3

Take about 45 seconds between sets and perform this workout twice a week for 3 weeks. I will post some agility workouts once you have completed this for 3 weeks. Good luck and ask questions.
bballchik0321
bballchik0321
United States
2004/05/04, 12:26 AM
hey... thanks sooo much for replying!!! i do have alot of questions though! haha sorry... but for the squats right now im doing 3 sets of 10 with about 35 lbs of added weight... is that wrong? and what is RDLS? What are back hypers? i can get in a weightroom every thursday if that helps... thank you soo much for your suggestions!!