Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

ALCOHOL AND BODY BUILDING

woodlejw
woodlejw
United States
2001/07/31, 10:14 AM
I HAVE BEEN TRAININGG FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW, AND I JUST TURNED 21. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME IF YOU CAN STILL MAKE GAINS DRINKING TWICE A WEEK. ANYONE WITH PERSONAL EXPERIANE OR ADVICE ON HOW TO MANAGE THESE TWO THINGS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2001/07/31, 03:57 PM
Woodlejw,

to make gains.. you simply have to cut the booze down to a MINIMUM. No other way around it. It usually takes 2 days after your drinking for your body to get back.. making some lose of course.. so if you drink twice a week then I imagine that you are not making the progress that you should be.

Drinking in moderation is perhaps an answer - personally I have cut it out to a minimum in my lifestyle.

.o0 Arnold 0o.
andezzz999
andezzz999
United States
2001/07/31, 07:41 PM
As with anything the key is moderation but consider this. Your body has to burn through alcohol first, fat second which means that the first thing you have to do before building muscle is work off the toxins. To many toxins and you may find the gains take a longer to acheive.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/31, 09:17 PM
I agree will everything said so far. Having experience in the drinking department (college), I can say that it just makes you feel like crap the next day and reduces the intensity you exert in the gym. If you "think" you don't get a hangover the next day, just ask your body by going to the gym and doing a high-intensity training session. Then, either later in the week or the week after, perform the same workout without drinking the night before. I promise you, you will see a noticible difference. Alcohol is a diuretic and dehydrates your entire body. If you're taking creatine, this is the worst thing you can do.

I understand peer pressure. I don't drink much else but milk and water now. One beer and/or drink here and there isn't going to totally halt your progress. Five or six (or more) drinks are a different story.
woodlejw
woodlejw
United States
2001/08/06, 01:51 PM
Thanx for all the good information. I will definitly cut back on my drinking, although its gonna be very hard, if there is one thing I like more than drinking its lifting. So again thank you