Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Advice on variety

heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/01/27, 03:29 PM (Edited: heraldstorm - 2012/01/27, 03:30 PM)
Hey everyone,
   I'm new to the new FreeTrainers.  It's a great resource, but I'd like to know how to change up some of the workouts that are recommended.  The same 12 exercises every day for 6 months can not only get boring, but put the body into a situation where the workouts just aren't as effective as they were in the beginning.  I'm currently doing a beginner level cross training workout, if that information is helpful.

Does anyone know of a way to put variety into the recommended workouts?  Something that could offer different exercises every few weeks?  Work the same parts of the body in a slightly different way?  I'm not looking for hard core muscle confusion, just a breath of fresh air...also something that increases the challenge.  Fortunately, the workout is doing lots of good, and I'm starting to outgrow the basics of what I'm doing now, but I don't know where to go so that I've got a smooth ramp up to a higher level.

Thanks for your time and help!
-Herald
george
george
Canada
2012/01/27, 06:44 PM (Edited: george - 2012/01/27, 06:46 PM)
Hi Herald, one great way is to move up levels. Once beginner gets too easy switch up to intermediate, that will be a good challenge increase. If you are referring to the full body circuit training plan, then the intermediate level adds more options to the exercise you choose. This will allow you to create many different combinations and keep it new.

You can also switch to the intermediate level now and just train with the 60 second rest between sets instead of the recommended 45, so you get the variety yet keep your current fitness pace/level.

You can also visit the vast range of exercise for each muscle groups http://www.freetrainers.com/exercise/muscle/ and replace them with new ones if you wish. Keep in mind that the exercise chosen, while may seem routine after a while are selected because they work the best.

Keep us posted on your progress!
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/01/27, 08:41 PM
Thank you, George!

I don't feel confident in my knowledge of physical training to start substituting exercises on my own, yet...That's one of the main reasons I came to FreeTrainers.  I'll bump up the difficulty and try out a few different rotations.  This happened so quickly, it caught me off guard, but I don't want to lose my momentum.  I've only been using the Beginner Circuit program for two weeks, and I'm already increasing the weight and doubling the recommended cardio, and the circuit started out very challenging for me.

So far in 2 weeks I've lost 5 lbs out of a desired 60.  I've got an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet riding on getting to 60 lbs, and I want that tablet!
Thanks again!
-Herald
george
george
Canada
2012/01/27, 08:46 PM
You're doing great! Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress! I am sure others will be inspired.
2012/01/28, 10:36 AM
I don't know what you have easy access to. Several things that we do to change things up are canoeing 3 days a week instead of walking. In the summer we swim long distance. A pardner helps. My wife just stops paddling when she's tired so I get even more of a workout.

I have a circuit that I swim between the no wake markers in my marina. I tow a 12 foot yellow inflatable kayak to keep drunks from running me over. The markers are a little under a mile apart. I do a few circuits and swim by the boat for my wife to join me in the last few.

I don't have one but those WII machines look like they can give a really good work out and be a bunch of fun. I've watched my nephews and nieces do different activities on them. We also shag to old time rock and roll. We try to dance to the newer Ce Lo, Lady Gaga, Christina Agulera and those boom boom songs byt they are a challenge. Burlesque has some great music to try to dance to.

Last but not least, we work a sizable garden which is great exercise.
heraldstorm
heraldstorm
United States
2012/01/28, 06:02 PM
Those ate excellent suggestions,  Charlie!   When the snow melts and the weather warms up, I'll certainly do more swimming.   I'm primarily focused on building lean muscle mass right now, though, and so the circuit training on weight machines is a  perfect fit.   Thanks for your suggestions!

-Herald