Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

advice on calf training needed??

Anum1234
Anum1234
Pakistan
2008/05/19, 05:46 AM
Hi all.. my question is calves.

Let me start by saying my calves are very ugly and tiny. training my calves is very very difficult for me. i think to begin with my ankles are weak. Still, i have been giving it my best shot. i do standing calf raises on a machine on alternate days. At the moment my maximum weight on the machine is 15 pounds. On the days in between i do 100 raises without weight. i have been doing this for two months and am still where i started. On some days my calves feel stronger and pumped and i feel a slight difference. Then they atrophy!!

I am back to square one again! and wondering if this is a waste of time. I'll never be able to develop my calves. I feel very sad.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/05/19, 10:39 AM
The one piece of advice I can give you is to stretch at the bottom of every rep. The calves are the tightest wound muscle in the body, so they store a lot of elastic energy. I see people bouncing out of calf raises and then wondering why they aren't getting results.

Try doing 5 sets of 8 with a 4 second pause at the bottom of each rep, and a 1-2 second contraction at the top.

Disclaimer: as a powerlifter, I rarely, if ever, train my calves directly. However, I've recommended this to others that have seen good results.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk