Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

AB workouts?

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/02, 09:35 PM
In the workout I was assigned I'm only getting 1 ab workout per week.. Can someone give me some information as to why this is? I know rest is crucial, but 1 ab workout a week seems a bit low.. Can i do other ab workouts such as crunches, russian twists, toe touches (workouts w/o extra weight resistance) etc. on an each day to near every day basis without obstructing this? Thanks.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/03, 08:11 AM
Not every day...and it really isn't necessary. You should be recruiting your core during every exercise you do to stabilize and transfer power. try to think of benching, rowing, squatting, deadlifting as ab invlving exercises when you do them.

Excessive ab work...fatigues your core and will probably detract from your heavier movements. Excessive weighted ab work may actually make your waist look thicker...not most people's goal.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/03, 08:26 PM
Well I'm not really trying to focus my body towards looks, but rather proformance. I'm a baseball player and need a strong core for many different reasons.
Thank you for the help though, much appreciated.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/04, 07:40 AM
Then you want more functional core strength, not crunches and such. work your core with everything you do. do balance work, speed work, etc and think of it all as core work.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/04, 09:59 PM
Do you have any recommendations as to your favorites and/or most productive balance and speed workouts? I think I have a good idea what you're talking about, but I want to make sure I don't get on to the wrong track.

Thank you once again.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/05, 08:00 AM
here are some sites I found that may be of help to you:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/baseball-training.html

http://www.beabetterhitter.com/text/conditioning/strengthtraining/baseballstregthtraining.htm

http://wwwbhs.bham.wednet.edu/depts/physeduc/nolan/Baseball/conditioning.htm

the search term I used was baseball conditioning program

--------------

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/05, 09:23 PM
Ah, I viewed two of these just the other day. These do contain very valuable information and some good exercises.

Thank you for your time -- much appreciated!